List of applications
This list is purely a point of reference for people looking for software to fill a particular need. No flame wars. For special list of lightweight apps only see Lightweight Software.
NOTE: This will likely get big. So please try to keep entries alphabetically organized
- 1 Backup
- 2 Internet
- 3 Document Indexers
- 4 Document Readers
- 5 Multimedia
- 6 Note Taking Organizers
- 7 Office
- 8 Security
- 9 Time Management
- 10 Utilities
- 11 Desktop Environments (DE)
- 12 Window Managers (WM)
- 13 Additional Resources
- dar -A full featured command-line backup tool, short for Disk ARchive Home Site Package
- duplicity - A utility for encrypted, bandwidth-efficient backups using the rsync algorithm Home Site Package
- packrat - A simple, modular backup system that uses dar to take full/incremental backups of files and can store them locally, on a remote system via SSH, or on Amazon S3 Home Site Package
- rdiff-backup - A utility for local/remote mirroring and incremental backups Home Site Package
- rsnapshot - A remote filesystem snapshot utility Home Site Package
- rsync - A file transfer program to keep remote files in sync Home Site Package
- safekeep - A client/server backup system which enhances the power of rdiff-backup Home Site Package
- aria2 - Fast command line downloader with support for multiple protocols, including BitTorrent
- Deluge - BitTorrent client written in Python and wrapped with PyGTK
- Ktorrent - Feature-rich BitTorrent client developed using Qt
- rTorrent - Simple and lightweight ncurses BitTorrent client for text-based console.
- Transmission - Simple and easy BitTorrent client (GTK+ GUI and CLI)
- Vuze - Feature-rich BitTorrent client written in Java
- MLDonkey - Multi protocol p2p client suporting BitTorrent
- Irssi - ncurses IRC client - http://www.irssi.org/
- Weechat - ncurses IRC client - http://weechat.flashtux.org/
- Xchat - http://www.xchat.org/
- freetalk - Freetalk is a CLI Jabber client. Freetalk is extensible, configurable, and scriptable through a Guile interface.
- gajim - A GTK2 Jabber/XMPP client, light and feature-rich
- jabber.el - jabber.el is a Jabber client for Emacs.
- mcabber A curses xmpp client
- psi - A Qt Jabber/XMPP client
- aMsn - A tcl/tk MSN Client. http://www.amsn-project.net/
- Emesene - A GTK2 MSN Client. http://emesene.org/
- Galaxium Messenger - A Mono MSN Client. http://code.google.com/p/galaxium/
- Kmess - A KDE MSN Client. http://kmess.org/
- Mercury - A Java MSN Client. http://www.mercury.im/
- BarnOwl - A console chat client for the AIM, IRC, Jabber, and Zephyr protocols http://barnowl.mit.edu/
- Carrier/Funpidgin - fork of Pidgin with many improvements and more user-oriented developers http://funpidgin.sourceforge.net
- CenterIM - An ncurses client with support for ICQ, Yahoo!, AIM, MSN, IRC, Jabber, LiveJournal, and Gadu-Gadu
- Finch - An ncurses version of Pidgin
- Kopete - A Kde multi-protocol IM client
- Pidgin - A GTK2 multi-protocol IM client
- qutim - a Qt multiprotocol client that resembles the look'n'feel of the QIP program. http://qutim.org
- Alpine The Apache-licensed PINE (a tool for reading, sending, and managing electronic messages) http://www.washington.edu/alpine
- Claws-mail - A GTK+ based e-mail client http://www.claws-mail.org
- Evolution - A mature and feature-rich e-mail client used in GNOME by default.
- Gnus - mail, nntp, rss client for Emacs.
- Kmail - A mature and feature-rich e-mail client part of the kde project. http://kontact.kde.org/kmail/
- mutt - The famous, mature old command-line client http://www.mutt.org/
- Sylpheed - Lightweight and user-friendly e-mail client http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/
- Thunderbird - Mozilla's GTK2-based client.
- Akregator - KDE's news aggregator (in kdepim package)
- Canto - A ncurses RSS aggregator http://codezen.org/canto/
- Gnus - mail, nntp, rss client for Emacs.
- Liferea - A GTK desktop news aggregator for online news feeds and weblogs http://liferea.sourceforge.net
- Newsbeuter - A ncurses RSS aggregator with layout and keybinding similar to mutt. Does not use the traditional 3 panes setup.
- Rawdog - An "RSS Aggregator Without Delusions Of Grandeur" that parses RSS/CDF/Atom feeds into a static HTML page of articles in date order http://offog.org/code/rawdog.html
- Rssowl - A powerful java-based RSS reader
- Snownews - Text mode RSS newsreader.
- Thunderbird - A mail client from Mozilla which also functions as a pretty nice news aggregator
- Arora - Cross-platform open source web browser using the WebKit rendering engine, built on top of Qt. http://www.arora-browser.org/
- Dillo - A small, fast graphical web browser built on FLTK http://www.dillo.org/
- Epiphany - A GNOME reworking of Firefox, really. http://projects.gnome.org/epiphany/
- Firefox - Extensible GTK2 browser based on Gecko with fast rendering. http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
- Kazehakase - A much lighter, but rather feature-lacking alternative to other browsers (GTK2 and Gecko). http://kazehakase.sourceforge.jp/
- Konqueror - Qt- and KHTML-based browser. A part of the KDE desktop. http://www.konqueror.org/
- Midori - Young but promising GTK2/WebKit browser, featherweight with very fast rendering http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php?/pages/midori_summary.html
- Opera - Highly customizable browser with focuses on usability and an adherence to web rendering standards http://www.opera.com/
- uzbl - A lightweight webkit browser following the UNIX philosophy - to do one thing and do it well. http://www.uzbl.org/
- Elinks - An advanced and well-established feature-rich text mode web browser. http://elinks.or.cz
- links-g A text WWW browser, similar to Lynx, with framebuffer and X graphics enabled http://links.twibright.com/
- Lynx A text browser for the World Wide Web http://lynx.isc.org
- w3m A pager/text-based WWW browser http://w3m.sourceforge.net/
- pinot - Personal search and metasearch tool http://pinot.berlios.de/
- recoll - Full text search tool based on Xapian backend http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/
- ePDFView - A free lightweight PDF document viewer using Poppler and GTK+ libraries. http://trac.emma-soft.com/epdfview/
- Evince - Document viewer for multiple document formats. Supports pdf, postscript, djvu, tiff and dvi http://projects.gnome.org/evince/
- Foxit Reader - A small, fast PDF viewer http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/desklinux/
- Okular - PDF viewer for KDE. http://okular.kde.org/
- xpdf - A viewer for Portable Document Format (PDF) files http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/
- Amarok - A mature Qt-based player known for its plethora of features
- Ario - A GTK client for MPD (Music player daemon) inspired by Rhythmbox but much lighter and faster
- aTunes - An audio-player written in Java
- Audacious - A Winamp clone like Beep and old XMMS versions
- Banshee - yet another GTK iTunes clone, yet more feature-rich and more actively developed.
- Cmus is a very feature-rich ncurses-based music player.
- Cplay is a curses front-end for various audio players.
- Exaile - A GTK clone of Amarok
- Goggles Music Manager - A lightweight music manager and player that automatically categorizes your music files.
- Moc - A ncurses-based daemon/client style player, designed to be flexible and easy to use. http://moc.daper.net/
- MPD - Music player daemon, a lightweight and scalable choice for music management
- mpg123 - command line audio player.
- ncmpc - An ncurses-based front-end to mpd
- ncmpcpp - A clone of ncmpc with some new features written in C++ http://unkart.ovh.org/ncmpcpp/ (in AUR)
- PyTone - An advanced music jukebox with a console interface http://www.luga.de/pytone/
- Quod Libet - an audio player written with pygtk and gstreamer
- Rhythmbox - A GTK clone of iTunes, used by default in GNOME
- Sonata - A Python-based front-end to mpd
- Songbird - an open source clone of iTunes that uses Mozilla technologies as well as Gstreamer and is being developed by the team that made WinAMP http://getsongbird.com/
- XMMS - A skinnable GTK+1 standalone media player similar to winamp
- projectM - OpenGL music visualizer for 3D accelerated graphic cards http://projectm.sourceforge.net/
- Audacity - A sound recorder and editor
Graphics and Image Manipulation
- Blender - A fully integrated 3D graphics creation suite http://blender3d.org
- Dia - DIAgram editor http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia
- Gimp - GNU Image Manipulation Program http://www.gimp.org
- imagemagick - An image viewing/manipulation program http://www.imagemagick.org/
- Inkscape - A vector-based drawing program - svg compliant http://inkscape.sourceforge.net
- mtpaint - A simple GTK2 painting program designed for creating icons and pixel based artwork. http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net
- Xara - An advanced vector graphics program, development release http://www.xaraxtreme.org
- bgs - Back Ground Setter (bgs) is a lightweight background setter.
- eog - "Eye of Gnome" image viewer
- feh - Command-line based, can be used for slideshows, quick viewing, and setting wallpaper
- gpicview - Picture viewer of the LXDE Desktop http://lxde.org/
- geeqie - Lightweight, speedy fork of gqview http://geeqie.sourceforge.net/
- gqview - A stand-alone GTK2 image viewer
- gThumb - Image browser and viewer for the GNOME Desktop
- Mirage - light and extensible GTK+ image viewer http://mirageiv.berlios.de/
- qiv - Quick Image Viewer (qiv) is a very small and fast GDK/Imlib image viewer http://www.klografx.net/qiv/
- Ristretto - Fast and lightweight viewer, often installed as part of the Xfce desktop environment
- XnView MP - Extensible port of the complete and customizeable XnView. Currently under development http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewforum.php?f=60
- xv - xv is a nice image viewer Home Site Package
- mplayer - A "Swiss army knife" of sorts for media playing on Linux
- VLC - A simple multi-platform media player, streamer, and encoder, that handles huge numbers of media formats.
- SMPlayer is a complete frontend for MPlayer.
- Whaaw! Media Player is a lightweight Gstreamer-based audio/video player that can serve as a good alternative to Totem for those who don't like all those GNOME dependencies. http://home.gna.org/whaawmp/
Note Taking Organizers
- hnb - A program to organize many kinds of data in one place. Home Site Package
- NoteCase - A portable hierarchical note manager, coded in C++ using the GTK+ toolkit Home Site
- Task - A command-line TODO list manager Home Site
- tomboy - Desktop note-taking application for Linux and Unix Home Site
- zim - A WYSIWYG text editor that aims at bringing the concept of a wiki to the desktop Home Site
- Gnote - Gnote is an experimental port of Tomboy to C++ Home Site
- Koffice - KOffice is a free, integrated office suite for KDE, the K Desktop Environment. http://www.koffice.org/
- OpenOffice.org - An office suite http://www.OpenOffice.org/
- Abiword - A lightweight fast word processor http://www.abisource.com/
- OpenOffice.org Writer - A full-featured word processor included in the OpenOffice.org suite
- gnumeric - A GNOME Spreadsheet Program http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnumeric
- OpenOffice.org Calc - A full-featured spreadsheet included in OpenOffice.org suite
- arpwatch - arpwatch and arpsnmp network monitoring tools ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/
- denyhosts - a script to help thwart ssh server attacks http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/
- etherape - A graphical network monitor for various OSI layers and protocols http://etherape.sourceforge.net/
- iptraf - An IP network monitor http://iptraf.seul.org/
- logwatch - Logwatch is a customizable log analysis system http://www.logwatch.org/
- nessus - Vulnerability scanner http://www.nessus.org
- nmap - A command line network exploration tool and security/port scanner http://nmap.org
- portbunny - Extremly fast CLI portscanner http://www.recurity-labs.com/portbunny/index.shtml
- snort - A lightweight network intrusion detection system http://www.snort.org
- swatch - The active log file monitoring tool http://swatch.sourceforge.net/
- tcpdump - A tool for network monitoring and data acquisition http://www.tcpdump.org
- wireshark - A free network protocol analyzer for Unix/Linux and Windows http://www.wireshark.org/
- Calcurse - An ncurses calendar and task manager Home Site
- Orage - A GTK+ calendar and task manager often seen integrated with Xfce Home Site
- Osmo - A GTK+ personal organizer, which includes calendar, tasks manager and address book modules. Home Site
- Rachota - A portable time tracker for personal projects Home Site
- Remind - A sophisticated calendar and alarm progam Home Site
- Sunbird - The standalone Mozilla calendar application Home Site
- taskcoach - A simple open source todo manager to manage personal tasks and todo lists Home Site Package
- When - A simple command line personal calendar program Home Site
- Wyrd - A text-based front-end to Remind. Home Site
Arch Package Management
See also Comparison of AUR frontends.
- Aurnotify - Displays the latest updated packages from Arch Linux User Repository. http://adesklets.sourceforge.net/desklets.html
- Aurshell - A program wherein a number of commands exist, such as aur search <query>
- Makeaur - A simple shell script designed to expedite the AUR installation process
- Powerpill - A wrapper and download accelerator for Pacman that works with other wrappers
- TuPac - A cached pacman implementation that boosts some pacman operations: faster searches, AND searches, aur support, colored output, system sanity check, frontend friendly and more...
- Yaourt - Usage identical to Pacman, with support for core, extra, community, and unsupported repositories
- Parcellite - a lightweight yet feature-rich clipboard manager.
- Glipper - Glipper is a clipboardmanager for GNOME with more features and plugin support Home Site
- p7zip - A command line port of 7-Zip for POSIX systems, including Linux. http://p7zip.sourceforge.net/ http://www.7-zip.org/
- Squeeze - A featherweight front-end for command line archiving tools. Passworded archives are currently unsupported. http://squeeze.xfce.org/
- XArchive - A GTK+ front-end for command line archiving tools.
- Xarchiver - A lightweight, desktop independent front-end for command line archiving tools built with GTK2. http://xarchiver.xfce.org/
- File Roller The default archive manager for GNOME.
- emelFM2 - File manager that implements a three-pane design http://emelfm2.net
- Krusader - Advanced twin panel (commander style) file manager for KDE http://www.krusader.org/
- Midnight Commander - Terminal filemanager/shell that emulates Norton Commander http://www.midnight-commander.org/
- Nautilus - Extensible, heavyweight file manager used by default in GNOME with support for custom scripts http://projects.gnome.org/nautilus/
- PCMan File Manager - Part of the standard LXDE DE, a small and efficient graphical file manager http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/
- ROX-Filer - Small and fast file manager which can optionally manage desktop backgrounds and panels http://roscidus.com/desktop/ROX-Filer
- Thunar - Extensible, medium weight file manager used by default in Xfce with support for plugins http://www.xfce.org/projects/thunar/
- Vifm - Ncurses based file manager with vi-like keybindings http://vifm.sourceforge.net/
- Xfe - Small and very fast Commander like file manager http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/
- fbpanel Lightweight, NETWM compliant desktop panel. Home Site Package
- LXPanel Lightweight X11 desktop panel and part of the LXDE DE. Home Site Package
- PyPanel Lightweight panel/taskbar written in Python and C. Home Site Package
- Tint Simple panel/taskbar developed specifically for Openbox. Home Site Package
- BMPanel Lightweight, NETWM compliant desktop panel. Home Site Package
- adesklet-systemmonitor - Modular stackable system monitors for adesklets http://adesklets.sourceforge.net/desklets.html
- conky - advanced, highly configurable system monitor for X based on torsmo http://conky.sourceforge.net/
- gkrellm - Simple, flexible system monitor package for GTK2; many plug-ins are available on AUR. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/billw/gkrellm/gkrellm.html
- Aterm - An xterm replacement with transparency support http://aterm.sourceforge.net/
- Gnome-Terminal - GNOME default (standalone) terminal with support for Unicode and pseudo-transparency
- Konsole - KDE's default terminal
- lxterminal - VTE-based terminal emulator and c part of the LXDE DE. http://lxde.org/
- Lilyterm — Lightweight and plain terminal emulator
- mrxvt - Tabbed X terminal emulator based on rxvt code http://materm.sourceforge.net/index.html
- roxterm - Tabbed, VTE-based terminal emulator http://roxterm.sourceforge.net/
- rxvt-unicode (or urxvt) - A small, fast and customizable terminal which uses ~/.Xdefaults http://software.schmorp.de/pkg/rxvt-unicode.html
- sakura - terminal emulator based on GTK and VTE. http://www.pleyades.net/david/sakura.php
- terminator - A terminal emulator supporting multiple resizable terminal panes
- xterm - The default of defaults, requires only X
- Terminal - Xfce default terminal with support for a colorized prompt and a tabbed interface http://www.xfce.org/projects/terminal/
- Beaver - Early AdVanced EditoR.
- Bluefish - GTK editor/IDE with an MDI interface, syntax highlighting and support for Python plugins http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/
- Cssed - GTK2 based Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) editor http://cssed.sourceforge.net/
- Emacs - The somewhat intimidating but famously extensible text editor with hundreds of tricks and add-ons
- Geany is a text editor using the GTK2 toolkit with basic features of an integrated development environment.
- Gedit - Part of the GNOME desktop, but has minimal dependencies: a GTK2 editor with syntax highlighting, automatic indentation, matching brackets, etc., and a number of add-ons to increase functionality
- Kate (a part of the KDE desktop)
- KWrite (a part of the KDE desktop)
- LeafPad - GTK+ based simple text editor http://tarot.freeshell.org/leafpad/
- medit is intended to be a useful programming and around-programming text editor.
- Mousepad - Lightweight text editor with support for word wrapping, line numbering and printing http://www.xfce.org/projects/mousepad/
- Nano - A console based editor, similar to vim with a more intuitive interface, a good choice for newbies and casual users.
- Scite - A generally useful editor with facilities for building and running programs http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
- Vim - "Vi improved," its many shortcuts and utilities may take a while to master but are a huge asset to programmers
- Docker is a docking application which acts as a system tray.
- Stalonetray is a stand-alone system tray.
- Trayer swallows GTK 1.2/2.x application docklets, and KDE docklets.
Desktop Environments (DE)
- GNOME - Heavyweight DE that focuses on usability by offering simple controls and options http://www.gnome.org/
- KDE - Heavyweight DE that focuses on customizeable options and integrated applications http://www.kde.org/
- LXDE - Fully modular, lightweight DE based on Openbox offered with a suite of lightweight tools http://www.lxde.org/
- ROX Desktop - Lightweight DE with excellent drag-and-drop support http://roscidus.com/desktop/
- Xfce - Partially modular, medium weight DE which attempts to emulate the usability of GNOME http://www.xfce.org/
Window Managers (WM)
Stacking Window Managers
- Compiz - Compositing WM, similar to GNOME's Metacity http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Compiz
- Enlightenment - WM which attempts to provide minimal DE features with a native image viewer and file manager, amongst others http://www.enlightenment.org/
- Fluxbox - Lightweight, easily configurable WM with support for panels and a tabbed interface http://www.fluxbox.org
- JWM - Simple, stable and featherweight WM with native support for panels and buttons. XML-based configuration http://joewing.net/programs/jwm/
- Openbox - Lightweight WM with numerous customization options and a mature code base. XML-based configuration http://icculus.org/openbox
- pekwm - Lightweight, themeable WM configured with an intuitive Perl-like syntax http://pekwm.org/projects/pekwm
- Sawfish - Medium weight WM, formerly the default WM in GNOME (subsequently substituted by Metacity) http://sawfish.wikia.com
Tiling Window Managers
Window managers that tile work by partitioning off areas of the screen and are designed to maximize the usage of the screen without forcing the user to muck around with window positions and frames. See also Comparison of Tiling Window Managers.