List of applications/Multimedia
< List of applications
- 1 Multimedia
- 1.1 Image viewers
- 1.2 Graphics and image manipulation
- 1.3 Graphics utilities (helper apps)
- 1.4 Audio systems
- 1.5 Audio players
- 1.6 CD Ripping
- 1.7 Visualization
- 1.8 Audio tag editors
- 1.9 Sound editing
- 1.10 E-book applications
- 1.11 Phone
- 1.12 Video players
- 1.13 Video editors
- 1.14 Collection managers
- fbi — Image viewer for the linux framebuffer console.
- fbv — Very simple graphic file viewer for the framebuffer console.
- fim — Highly customizable and scriptable framebuffer image viewer based on fbi.
- jfbview — Framebuffer PDF and image viewer based on Imlib2. Features include Vim-like controls, rotation and zoom, zoom-to-fit, and fast multi-threaded rendering.
- Eye of GNOME — Image viewing and cataloging program, which is a part of the GNOME desktop environment.
- feh — Fast, lightweight image viewer that uses imlib2.
- GalaPix — OpenGL-based image viewer for simultaneously viewing and zooming large collections of image files,
- Geeqie — Image browser and viewer (fork of GQview) that adds additional functionality such as support for RAW files.
- Gimmage — Gtkmm image viewer.
- GPicView — Simple and fast image viewer for X, which is part of the LXDE desktop.
- GQview — Image browser that features single click access to view images and move around the directory tree
- gThumb — Image viewer for the GNOME desktop.
- Gwenview — Fast and easy to use image viewer for the KDE desktop.
- Mirage — PyGTK image viewer featuring support for crop and resize, custom actions and a thumbnail panel.
- nomacs — Free image viewer (Qt) for windows, linux, and mac systems, which is licensed under the GNU General Public License v3.
- Picasa — Image organizer and viewer from Google that has editing capabilities and integration with the photo-sharing website.
- Quick Image Viewer — Very small and fast image viewer based on GTK+ and imlib2.
- Ristretto — Fast and lightweight image viewer for the Xfce desktop environment.
- sxiv — Simple image viewer based on imlib2 that works well with tiling window managers.
- Viewnior — Minimalistic GTK+ image viewer featuring support for flipping, rotating, animations and configurable mouse actions.
- Xloadimage — Classic X image viewer.
- XnView MP — Efficient image viewer, browser and converter.
- xv — Shareware program written by John Bradley to display and modify digital images under the X Window System.
Graphics and image manipulation
- Bibble Pro — Digital imaging program designed to assist photographers in post-production work and efficient optimization of images created in the Raw image format.
- http://www.bibblelabs.com || AUR
- darktable — Photography workflow and RAW development application.
- digiKam — KDE-based image organizer with built-in editing features via a plugin architecture. digiKam asserts it is more full featured than similar applications with a larger set of image manipulation features including RAW image import and manipulation.
- GIMP — Image editing suite in the vein of proprietary editors such as Adobe Photoshop. GIMP ( GNU Image Manipulation Program) has been started in the mid 1990s and has acquired a large number of plugins and additional tools.
- GraphicsMagick — Fork of ImageMagick designed to have API and command-line stability. It also supports multi-CPU for enhanced performance and thus is used by some large commercial sites (Flickr, etsy) for its performance.
- ImageMagick — Command-line image manipulation program. It is known for its accurate format conversions with support for over 100 formats. Its API enables it to be scripted and it is usually used as a backend processor.
- KolourPaint — Free, raster graphics editor for KDE, similar to Microsoft's Paint application before Windows 7, but with some additional features such as support for transparency.
- Krita — Digital painting and illustration software included based on the KDE platform and Calligra libraries.
- Luminance HDR — Open source graphical user interface application that aims to provide a workflow for HDR imaging.
- mtPaint — Graphics editing program geared towards creating indexed palette images and pixel art.
- MyPaint — Free software graphics application for digital painters.
- Nathive — "Usable image editor", based on GNOME libraries with a focus on usability and a smooth learning curve.
- http://www.nathive.org/ || AUR
- Pinta — Drawing and editing program modeled after Paint.NET. Its goal is to provide a simplified alternative to GIMP for casual users.
- Shotwell — Image organizer with a small set of image manipulation features (rotate, crop, color adjust, and red eye removal). It can import photos directly from digital cameras and export them to social media sites (Facebook, Flickr, Picasa Web Albums, etc.).
- XPaint — Color image editing tool which features most standard paint program options.
Vector graphics - illustration
- Dia — GTK+-based diagram creation program.
- Inkscape — Vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) file format. Inkscape supports many advanced SVG features (markers, clones, alpha blending, etc.) and great care is taken in designing a streamlined interface. It is very easy to edit nodes, perform complex path operations, trace bitmaps and much more. It's developers also aim to maintain a thriving user and developer community by using open, community-oriented development.
- Karbon — Vector graphics editor, part of the Calligra Suite.
- sK1 — Replacement for Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw, oriented for "prepress ready" PostScript & PDF output.
- Xara LX — Advanced vector graphics program, the open source version of the commercial Xara X.
- http://www.xaraxtreme.org/ || AUR
Vector graphics - CAD
- BRL-CAD — Constructive solid geometry (CSG) solid modeling computer-aided design (CAD) system that includes an interactive geometry editor, ray tracing support for graphics rendering and geometric analysis, computer network distributed framebuffer support, scripting, image-processing and signal-processing tools.
- http://brlcad.org/ || AUR
- FreeCAD — CAD/CAE program, based on OpenCascade, Qt and Python with features such as macro recording, workbenches and the ability to run as server.
- LeoCAD — CAD program for creating virtual LEGO models. It has an easy to use interface and currently includes over 6000 different pieces created by the LDraw community.
- http://leocad.org || AUR
- LibreCAD — Powerful 2D CAD application based on Qt. It has been forked from QCad Community Edition.
- http://www.librecad.org/ || AUR
- QCAD — Powerful 2D CAD application that began in 1999. QCaD includes DFX standard file format and supports HPGL format.
- VariCAD — 3D/2D CAD and mechanical engineering application which provides support for parameters and geometric constraints, tools for shells, pipelines, sheet metal unbending and crash tests, assembly support, mechanical part and symbol libraries, calculations, bills of materials, and more.
- Art of Illusion — 3D modeling and rendering studio written in Java.
- Blender — fully integrated 3D graphics creation suite capable of 3D modeling, texturing, and animation, among other things.
- MakeHuman™ — Parametrical modeling program for creating human bodies.
- http://www.makehuman.org/ || AUR
- POV-Ray — Script-based raytracer for creating 3D graphics.
- Wings 3D — Advanced subdivision modeler that is both powerful and easy to use.
Graphics utilities (helper apps)
Screencast utilities allow you to create a video of your desktop or individual windows.
- byzanz — Simple screencast tool that produces GIF animations.
- glc — Screencast tool that can capture the sound and video from OpenGL applications, such as games, where regular X11 screencast tools produce choppy results.
- Istanbul — Simple desktop session recorder that produces ogg videos.
- Kazam — Screencasting program with design in mind.
- https://launchpad.net/kazam || AUR
- RecordMyDesktop — An easy to use utility that records your desktop into the ogg format with a CLI, Qt or GTK+ interface.
- simplescreenrecorder — A feature-rich screen recorder that supports X11 and OpenGL.
- vokoscreen — Simple screencast tool, GUI ffmpeg.
- XVidCap — Application used for recording a screencast or digital recording of an X Window System screen output with an audio narration.
Music player daemons and clients
- Music Player Daemon — Lightweight and scalable choice for music management.
- cmus — Very feature-rich ncurses-based music player.
- Cplay — Curses front-end for various audio players (ogg123, mpg123, mpg321, splay, madplay, and mikmod, xmp, and sox).
- Herrie — Minimalistic console-based music player with native AudioScrobbler support.
- http://herrie.info/ || AUR
- MOC — Ncurses console audio player with support for the MP3, OGG, and WAV formats.
- mpg123 — Fast free MP3 console audio player for Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, HP-UX and nearly all other UNIX systems (also decodes MP1 and MP2 files).
- pianobar — Console-based frontend for Pandora.
- PyTone — Advanced music jukebox with a console interface.
- http://www.luga.de/pytone/ || AUR
- shell-fm — Console-based player for the streams provided by last.fm.
- VLC — Highly portable multimedia player with ncurses interface module, and multimedia framework capable of reading most audio and video formats as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
- Amarok — Mature Qt-based player known for its plethora of features.
- aTunes — Audio player written in Java.
- http://www.atunes.org/ || AUR
- Clementine — Amarok 1.4 clone, ported to Qt 4.
- Cuberok — Music player and collection manager with a lightweight interface.
- DeaDBeeF — Light and fast music player with many features, no GNOME or KDE dependencies, supports console-only, as well as a GTK+ GUI, comes with many plugins, and has a metadata editor.
- Exaile — GTK+ clone of Amarok.
- http://www.exaile.org/ || AUR
- gmusicbrowser — Open-source jukebox for large collections of MP3/OGG/FLAC files.
- http://gmusicbrowser.org/ || AUR
- Goggles Music Manager — Music collection manager and player that automatically categorizes your music, supports gapless playback, features easy tag editing, and internet radio support. Uses the Fox toolkit.
- Guayadeque — Full featured media player that can easily manage large collections and uses the GStreamer media framework.
- Nightingale — Open source clone of iTunes-based on Songbird, that uses Mozilla technologies and the GStreamer framework.
- http://getnightingale.com/ || AUR
- Nuvola Player — Integrated Google Music, Grooveshark, 8tracks and Hype Machine player.
- Potamus — Lightweight, intuitive GTK+ audio player with an emphasis on high audio quality.
- Pragha — GTK+ music manager. (fork of the Consonance Music Manager)
- Qmmp — Qt-based multimedia player with a user interface that is similar to Winamp or XMMS.
- Quod Libet — Audio player written with PyGTK and GStreamer.
- Rhythmbox — GTK+ clone of iTunes, used by default in GNOME.
- Spotify — Proprietary music streaming service. It supports local playback and streaming from Spotify's vast library (requires a free account).
- http://www.spotify.com/ || AUR
- Tomahawk — Music Player App written in C++/Qt. It decouples the name of the song from the source it was shared from - and fulfills the request using all of your available sources.
- VLC — Highly portable multimedia player and multimedia framework capable of reading most audio and video formats as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
- XMMS — Skinnable GTK+ standalone media player similar to Winamp.
- Abcde — Comprehensive command-line tool for ripping audio CDs.
- Asunder — GTK+-based CD ripping program.
- cdparanoia — Compact Disc Digital Audio (CDDA) Digital Audio Extraction (DAE) tool.
- Gnac — Audio converter for GNOME.
- Goobox — CD player and ripper for GNOME.
- KAudioCreator — Program for ripping and encoding Audio CDs and encoding files from disk.
- morituri — CD ripper aiming for accuracy over speed.
- ripperX — GTK+ program to rip and encode MP3 files.
- rubyripper — Audiodisk ripper that tries to deliver a secure rip through multiple rippings of the same track and corrections of any differences.
- Sound Juicer — CD ripper for GNOME.
- soundKonverter — Front-end to various audio converters.
- ProjectM — Music visualizer which uses 3D accelerated iterative image-based rendering.
- VSXu — Free to use program that lets you create and perform real-time audio visual presets.
- http://www.vsxu.com/ || AUR
Audio tag editors
- Audio Tag Tool — Tool to edit tags in MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files.
- Cowbell — Elegant music organizer that supports many audio formats including MP3, Ogg/FLAC, and MusePack.
- http://more-cowbell.org/ || AUR
- EasyTag — Utility for viewing, editing and writing ID3 tags of your MP3 files.
- Ex Falso — Cross-platform free and open source audio tag editor and library organizer.
- ID3 Mass Tagger — Command-line utility to edit ID3 1.x and 2.x tags.
- Kid3 — MP3, Ogg/Vorbis, FLAC, MPC, MP4/AAC, MP2, Speex, TrueAudio, WavPack, WMA, WAV and AIFF files tag editor.
- MP3Info — MP3 technical info viewer and ID3 1.x tag editor.
- MusicBrainz Picard — Cross-platform audio tag editor written in Python (the official MusicBrainz tagger).
- Puddletag — Replacement for the famous MP3tag for Windows.
- Ardour — Multichannel hard disk recorder and digital audio workstation.
- Audacity — Program that lets you manipulate digital audio waveforms.
- GNOME Sound Recorder — The Sound Recorder application enables you to record and play .flac, .ogg (OGG audio, or .oga), and .wav sound files.
- Jokosher — Non-linear multi-track digital audio editor that is being developed in Python, using the GTK+ interface and GStreamer as an audio back-end.
- KWave — Sound editor for KDE.
- Qtractor — Qt-based hard disk recorder and digital audio workstation application that aims to provide digital audio workstation software simple enough for the average home user, and yet powerful enough for the professional user.
- Rosegarden — Digital audio workstation program developed with ALSA and Qt that acts as an audio and MIDI sequencer, scorewriter and musical composition and editing tool.
- XCFA — Tool to extract the contens of audio CDs and convert them to various formats.
- Calibre — E-book library management application that can also convert between different formats and sync with a variety of e-book readers. Supported formats include CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, DJVU, EPUB, FictionBook, HTML, HTMLZ, LIT, LRF, Mobipocket, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT and TXTZ.
- Cool Reader — E-book viewer with many supported formats such as EPUB (non-DRM), FictionBook, TXT, RTF, HTML, CHM and TCR.
- epub — Curses EPUB reader using Python and BeautifulSoup.
- https://github.com/rupa/epub || AUR
- FBReader — E-book viewer with many supported formats such as EPUB, FictionBook, HTML, plucker, PalmDoc, zTxt, TCR, CHM, RTF, OEB, Mobipocket (non-DRM) and TXT.
- pPub — Simple EPUB reader using Python, GTK3 and WebKit.
- Sigil — WYSIWYG ebook editor.
- Xournal — PDF viewer/note taking application.
- gnokii — Tools and user space driver for use with mobile phones
- GNOME Phone Manager — Control your mobile phone from your GNOME desktop.
- Moto4Lin — File manager and seem editor for Motorola P2K phones (like C380/C650).
- MPlayer — Video player that supports a complete and versatile array of video and audio formats.
- http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html || (Also see its forks: and )
- VLC ncurses — Command-line version of the famous video player that can play smoothly high definition videos in the TTY.
- Dragon Player — Simple video player for KDE.
- Kaffeine — Very versatile KDE media player that, by default, utilizes Xine as its backend and has excellent support of digital TV (DVB).
- Parole — Modern media player based on the GStreamer framework.
- Totem — Media player (audio and video) for the GNOME desktop that uses GStreamer.
- VLC media player — Middleweight video player with support for a wide variety of audio and video formats.
- Whaaw! Media Player — Lightweight Gstreamer-based audio and video player that can serve as a good alternative to Totem for those who do not like all of those GNOME dependencies.
- http://home.gna.org/whaawmp/ || AUR
- Xnoise — GTK+ and GStreamer-based media player for both audio and video with "a slick GUI, great speed and lots of features.".
- Avidemux — Free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks.
- HandBrake-CLI — Simple yet powerful video transcoder ideal for batch mkv/x264 ripping.
- Avidemux — Free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks.
- Cinelerra (Community Version) — Professional video editing and compositing environment.
- HandBrake — Simple yet powerful video transcoder ideal for batch mkv/x264 ripping. GTK+ version.
- Kdenlive — Non-linear video editor "designed for basic to semi-professional work".
- Kino — GTK+-based non-linear digital video editor that supports many basic and detailed audio/video editing and assembling tasks.
- LiVES — Video editor and VJ (live performance) platform.
- Open Movie Editor — Video editing program designed for basic movie making capabilities, powerful, yet easy to use.
- Open Shot — Non-linear video editor based on MLT framework.
- PiTiVi — Video editor designed to be intuitive and integrate well in the GNOME desktop.
- Transmageddon — Simple python application for transcoding video into formats supported by GStreamer.
- Alexandria — GNOME application to help you manage your book collection.
- GCstar — GNOME application for organizing various collections (board games, comic books, movies, stamps, etc.).
- Koha — Open source Integrated Library System (ILS), used world-wide by public, school and special libraries.
- http://koha-community.org/ || AUR
- Tellico — KDE application for organizing various collections (books, video, music, coins, etc.).
- XBMC — Application for organizing various collections and automatically retrieving infos about them (video, music, photos).