List of applications/Science
< List of applications
- 1 Science
- 1.1 Scientific Documents
- 1.2 Mathematics
- 1.3 Chemistry and Biology
- 1.4 Astronomy
- 1.5 Physics
Note: For possibly more up to date selection of scientific applications, try checking the AUR 'science' category
- bc — An arbitrary precision calculator language.
- calc — An arbitrary precision console calculator.
- Extcalc — A Qt based scientfic graphical calculator.
- GCalctool — A scientific calculator included in the GNOME desktop.
- KAlgebra — A calculator and 3D plotter included in KDE EDU.
- KCalc — A scientific calculator included in the KDE desktop.
- Qalculate — A calculator and equation solver with fault-tolerant parsing, constant recognition and units.
- SpeedCrunch — A fast, high precision and powerful cross-platform calculator.
- http://speedcrunch.org || AUR
- xcalc — A scientific calculator for X with algebraic and reverse polish notation modes.
Computer Algebra System
- Fermat — A computer algebra system that does arithmetic of arbitrarily long integers and fractions, multivariate polynomials, symbolic calculations, matrices over polynomial rings, graphics, and other numerical calculations.
- http://home.bway.net/lewis/ || AUR
- Mathomatic — A general purpose Computer Algebra System written in C.
- PARI/GP — A computer algebra system designed for fast computations in number theory.
- Sage — A algebra system similar to Maxima, but written in Python.
- http://www.sagemath.org/ || AUR
- Xcas — A user interface to Giac, a free, basic computer algebra system.
Scientific or Technical Computing
- Freemat — "Matlab"-like program
- Scilab — "Matlab"-like program
- http://www.scilab.org/ || AUR
- Euler — mathematical programming environment like MatLab or Octave
- http://euler.sourceforge.net || AUR
- Englab — cross-compile mathematical platform with a C like syntax
- http://englab.bugfest.net || AUR
- Pylab — python modules for scientific calculations
- PSPP — free SPSS implementation (Graphical:PSPPire)
- R — software environment for statistical computing and graphics
- RKWard — frontend for the statistical language R
- JAGS — is Just Another Gibbs Sampler. A cross-platform program for analysis of Bayesian hierarchical models using Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) simulation
- Fityk — non-linear fitting of curves
- SciDavis — similar to QtiPlot
- LabPlot — comparable to "OriginLab"
- ROOT — data analysis program and library (originally for particle physics)
- GnuPlot — commanine based plotting program
- XmGrace — plotting program with GUI
- Extrema — visualization and data analysis tool.(no longer in active development)
See also Common Applications#Spreadsheets
Chemistry and Biology
- Biopython — Python package with tools for computational biology.
- Avogadro — edit and view 3D molecule structures (also .pdb) and simulate
- Ballview — standalone molecular modeling and visualization application
- http://www.ballview.org/ || AUR
- Ghemical — edit and view 3D molecule structures (also .pdb) and simulate
- Rasmol — view 3D molecule structures
- http://www.rasmol.org/ || AUR
- Pymol — view 3D molecule structures
- BKchem — practical and goodlooking skeletal formula molecule drawing program
- http://bkchem.zirael.org/ || AUR
- XDrawChem — extensive skeletal formula molecule drawing program (incl. spectroscopy prediction)
- EasyChem — simple skeletal formula molecule drawing program
- Chemtool — skeletal formula molecule drawing program
- Gabedit — graphical user interface to computational chemistry packages like Gamess-US, Gaussian, Molcas, Molpro, MPQC, OpenMopac, Orca, PCGamess and hem
- Kalzium — periodic table of the elements with molecule editor and equation solver from the KDE project
- gElemental — periodic table of the elements and additional information
- Bioclipse — Aims to be a complete biochemistry office suite.
- GROMACS — versatile package to perform molecular dynamics, i.e. simulate the Newtonian equations of motion for systems with hundreds to millions of particles
- http://www.gromacs.org || AUR
- Quantum Espresso — integrated suite of computer codes for electronic-structure calculations and materials modeling at the nanoscale. It is based on density-functional theory, plane waves, and pseudopotentials (both norm-conserving and ultrasoft)
- ImageJ — Java-based image processing and analysing program, that provides extensibility via plugins and macros. Widely used in microscopy (e.g. for cell counting).
- http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij || AUR
- Cartes Du Ciel — aka 'Skychart' - Planetarium,Sky mapping & Telescope control
- Celestia — space simulation software
- GIMP Plugins Astronomy- GIMP plugins for astronomical images, overlay mode, darkness subtraction, merge images and others AUR
- Exphem — Ephemeris & Planetarium program
- KStars — KDE desktop planetarium
- StarPlot — 3D starchart viewer
- http://starplot.org/ || AUR
- Stellarium — beautiful 3D planetarium
- gEDA — electronic design automation tools
- Qucs — electronic circuit simulation
- Oregano — electronic circuit simulation
- QElectroTech — draw advanced electrical circuits
- http://qelectrotech.org/ || AUR
- KiCAD — design schematics for printed circuit boards
- KSimus — logical circuits simulation
- http://ksimus.berlios.de/ || AUR
- KLogic — logical circuits simulation
- http://www.a-rostin.de/ || AUR
- Aster — simulation for civil and structural engineering
- http://www.code-aster.org || AUR
- Step — physics Simulation Educative physics simulation (KDE)
- Convertall — convert between different physical units
- http://convertall.bellz.org/ || AUR
- Gonvert — convert between different physical units
- Units — CLI Unit converter and calculator