List of applications/Science
< List of applications
- 1 Science
- 1.1 Scientific Documents
- 1.2 Mathematics
- 1.3 Chemistry and Biology
- 1.4 Astronomy
- 1.5 Physics
- bc — An arbitrary precision calculator language.
- calc — An arbitrary precision console calculator.
- Extcalc — A Qt based scientfic graphical calculator.
- GCalctool — A scientific calculator included in the GNOME desktop.
- KAlgebra — A calculator and 3D plotter included in KDE EDU.
- KCalc — A scientific calculator included in the KDE desktop.
- Qalculate — A calculator and equation solver with fault-tolerant parsing, constant recognition and units.
- SpeedCrunch — A fast, high precision and powerful cross-platform calculator.
- http://speedcrunch.org || AUR
- xcalc — A scientific calculator for X with algebraic and reverse polish notation modes.
Computer Algebra System
- Fermat — A computer algebra system that does arithmetic of arbitrarily long integers and fractions, multivariate polynomials, symbolic calculations, matrices over polynomial rings, graphics, and other numerical calculations.
- http://home.bway.net/lewis/ || AUR
- Mathomatic — A general purpose Computer Algebra System written in C.
- PARI/GP — A computer algebra system designed for fast computations in number theory.
- Sage — A algebra system similar to Maxima, but written in Python.
- http://www.sagemath.org/ || AUR
- Xcas — A user interface to Giac, a free, basic computer algebra system.
Scientific or Technical Computing
- EngLab — A cross-compile mathematical platform with a C like syntax.
- http://englab.bugfest.net || AUR
- Euler — A numerical application designed for higher level math such as calculus, optimization, and statistics that uses Maxima for symbolic operations.
- http://euler.sourceforge.net || AUR
- FreeMat — A Matlab-like program that supports many of its functions and features a codeless interface to external C, C++, and Fortran code, further parallel distributed algorithm development (via MPI), and 3D visualization capabilities.
- PyLab — A collection of Python modules (pyplot, numpy, etc.) used for scientific calculations.
- Scilab — A Matlab alternative used for numerical computations, its syntax is not equivalent to that of Matlab, but it can be easily converted.
- http://www.scilab.org/ || AUR
- JAGS (Just another Gibbs sampler) — A cross-platform program for analysis of Bayesian hierarchical models using Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) simulation.
- PSPP — A free SPSS implementation.
- R — A software environment for statistical computing and graphics.
- RKWard — A frontend for the statistical language R.
- Extrema — A visualization and data analysis tool.
- Fityk — A curve fitting and data analysis application, predominantly used to fit analytical, bell-shaped functions to experimental data.
- Gnuplot — A command-line program that can generate 2D and 3D plots of functions, data, and data fits.
- Grace — A WYSIWYG 2D graph plotting tool.
- http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Grace/ || AUR AUR
- LabPlot — A free software data analysis and visualization application, similar to SciDAVis.
- QtiPlot — A platform-independent application used for interactive scientific graphing and data analysis, similar to the proprietary Origin or SigmaPlot.
- ROOT — A data analysis program and library (originally for particle physics) developed by CERN.
- http://root.cern.ch/drupal/ || AUR
- SciDAVis — A fork of QtiPlot with the goal of being better documented and more user friendly.
See also Common Applications#Spreadsheets
Chemistry and Biology
Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
- BALL (Biochemical Algorithms Library) — An application framework in C++ that provides an extensive set of data structures as well as classes for molecular nechanics, advanced solvation methods, comparison and analysis of protein structures, file import/export, and visualization.
- http://www.ball-project.org/ || AUR
- BioJava — A set of Java tools for computational biology, as well as bioinformatics.
- Biopython — A Python package with tools for computational biology, as well as bioinformatics.
- EMBOSS (European Molecular Biology Open Software Suite) — An open source software analysis package specially developed for the needs of the molecular biology and bioinformatics user community.
- MEGA (Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis) — An integrated tool for conducting automatic and manual sequence alignment, inferring phylogenetic trees, mining web-based databases, estimating rates of molecular evolution, inferring ancestral sequences, and testing evolutionary hypotheses.
- http://www.megasoftware.net/ || AUR
- MUMmer — A bioinformatics software system for sequence alignment based on suffix trees.
- UGENE — An application that integrates dozens of well-known biological tools and algorithms, providing both graphical user and command line interfaces.
- http://ugene.unipro.ru/ || AUR
- Avogadro — An editor, viewer and simulator for 3D molecule structures (also supports downloading files from the Protein Data Bank).
- BALLView — A standalone molecular modeling and visualization application, part of the BALL framework.
- http://www.ballview.org/ || AUR
- Ghemical — A computational chemistry software package used to edit, view and simulate molecular structures.
- PyMOL — An open-source molecular visualization system that can produce high quality 3D images of small molecules and biological macromolecules, such as proteins.
- RasMol — A computer program written for molecular graphics visualization intended and used primarily for the depiction and exploration of biological macromolecule structures.
- http://www.rasmol.org/ || AUR
- BKChem — A practical and goodlooking skeletal formula molecule drawing program.
- http://bkchem.zirael.org/ || AUR
- Chemtool — A GTK+ based program for drawing chemical structural formulas.
- EasyChem — A simple skeletal formula molecule drawing program with a focus on producing press-quality figures.
- Gabedit — A graphical user interface to computational chemistry packages like GAMESS, Gaussian, MOLCAS, MOLPRO, MPQC, OpenMopac, Firefly (previously PC GAMESS) and Q-Chem.
- XDrawChem — An extensive skeletal formula molecule drawing program (includes spectroscopy prediction).
- gElemental — A periodic table of the elements with additional information.
- Kalzium — A periodic table of the elements with molecule editor and equation solver from the KDE desktop.
- Bioclipse — A Java-based visual platform for biochemestry based on the Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP).
- GROMACS (GROningen MAchine for Chemical Simulations) — A versatile package to perform molecular dynamics, i.e. simulate the Newtonian equations of motion for systems with hundreds to millions of particles.
- http://www.gromacs.org || AUR
- Quantum ESPRESSO — An integrated suite of applications for electronic-structure calculations and materials modeling at nanoscale. It is based on density-functional theory, plane waves, and pseudopotentials (both norm-conserving and ultrasoft).
- ImageJ — A Java based image processing and analysing program that provides extensibility via plugins and macros. It is widely used in microscopy (e.g. for cell counting).
- http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij || AUR
- Cartes Du Ciel — aka 'Skychart' - Planetarium,Sky mapping & Telescope control
- Celestia — space simulation software
- GIMP Plugins Astronomy- GIMP plugins for astronomical images, overlay mode, darkness subtraction, merge images and others AUR
- Exphem — Ephemeris & Planetarium program
- KStars — KDE desktop planetarium
- StarPlot — 3D starchart viewer
- http://starplot.org/ || AUR
- Stellarium — beautiful 3D planetarium
- gEDA — electronic design automation tools
- Qucs — electronic circuit simulation
- Oregano — electronic circuit simulation
- QElectroTech — draw advanced electrical circuits
- http://qelectrotech.org/ || AUR
- KiCAD — design schematics for printed circuit boards
- KSimus — logical circuits simulation
- http://ksimus.berlios.de/ || AUR
- KLogic — logical circuits simulation
- http://www.a-rostin.de/ || AUR
- Aster — simulation for civil and structural engineering
- http://www.code-aster.org || AUR
- Step — physics Simulation Educative physics simulation (KDE)
- Convertall — convert between different physical units
- http://convertall.bellz.org/ || AUR
- Gonvert — convert between different physical units
- Units — CLI Unit converter and calculator