List of applications/Science
< List of applicationsJump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 Science
- 1.1 Scientific documents
- 1.2 Mathematics
- 1.3 Chemistry and biology
- 1.4 Astronomy
- 1.5 Physics
Note: For possibly more up to date selection of scientific applications, try checking the AUR 'science' category
- bc — Arbitrary precision calculator language.
- calc — Arbitrary precision console calculator.
- Extcalc — Qt-based scientfic graphical calculator.
- GCalctool — Scientific calculator included in the GNOME desktop.
- http://www.gnome.org || AUR
- KAlgebra — Calculator and 3D plotter included in KDE EDU.
- KCalc — Scientific calculator included in the KDE desktop.
- Qalculate — Calculator and equation solver with fault-tolerant parsing, constant recognition and units.
- SpeedCrunch — Fast, high precision and powerful cross-platform calculator.
- http://speedcrunch.org || AUR
- xcalc — Scientific calculator for X with algebraic and reverse polish notation modes.
Computer algebra system
- Fermat — Computer algebra system that does arithmetic of arbitrarily long integers and fractions, multivariate polynomials, symbolic calculations, matrices over polynomial rings, graphics, and other numerical calculations.
- http://home.bway.net/lewis/ || AUR
- Mathomatic — General purpose Computer Algebra System written in C.
- PARI/GP — Computer algebra system designed for fast computations in number theory.
- Sage — Algebra system similar to Maxima, but written in Python.
- Xcas — User interface to Giac, a free, basic computer algebra system.
Scientific or technical computing
- EngLab — Cross-compile mathematical platform with a C like syntax.
- http://englab.bugfest.net || AUR
- Euler — Numerical application designed for higher level math such as calculus, optimization, and statistics that uses Maxima for symbolic operations.
- http://euler.sourceforge.net || AUR
- FreeMat — Matlab-like program that supports many of its functions and features a codeless interface to external C, C++, and Fortran code, further parallel distributed algorithm development (via MPI), and 3D visualization capabilities.
- PyLab — Collection of Python modules (pyplot, numpy, etc.) used for scientific calculations.
- Scilab — Matlab alternative used for numerical computations. Its syntax is not equivalent to that of Matlab, but it can be easily converted.
- http://www.scilab.org/ || AUR
- JAGS (Just another Gibbs sampler) — Cross-platform program for analysis of Bayesian hierarchical models using Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) simulation.
- PSPP — Free SPSS implementation.
- R — Software environment for statistical computing and graphics.
- RKWard — Frontend for the statistical language R.
- Extrema — Visualization and data analysis tool.
- Fityk — Curve fitting and data analysis application, predominantly used to fit analytical, bell-shaped functions to experimental data.
- http://fityk.nieto.pl/ || AUR
- Gnuplot — Command-line program that can generate 2D and 3D plots of functions, data, and data fits.
- Grace — WYSIWYG 2D graph plotting tool.
- http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Grace/ || AUR AUR
- LabPlot — Free software data analysis and visualization application, similar to SciDAVis.
- QtiPlot — Platform-independent application used for interactive scientific graphing and data analysis, similar to the proprietary Origin or SigmaPlot.
- ROOT — Data analysis program and library (originally for particle physics) developed by CERN.
- http://root.cern.ch/drupal/ || AUR
- SciDAVis — Fork of QtiPlot with the goal of being better documented and more user friendly.
See also List of Applications#Spreadsheets
Chemistry and biology
Computational biology and bioinformatics
- BALL (Biochemical Algorithms Library) — Application framework in C++ that provides an extensive set of data structures as well as classes for molecular nechanics, advanced solvation methods, comparison and analysis of protein structures, file import/export, and visualization.
- http://www.ball-project.org/ || AUR
- BioJava — Set of Java tools for computational biology, as well as bioinformatics.
- Biopython — Python package with tools for computational biology, as well as bioinformatics.
- http://biopython.org/wiki/Biopython || AUR AUR
- EMBOSS (European Molecular Biology Open Software Suite) — Open source software analysis package specially developed for the needs of the molecular biology and bioinformatics user community.
- MEGA (Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis) — Integrated tool for conducting automatic and manual sequence alignment, inferring phylogenetic trees, mining web-based databases, estimating rates of molecular evolution, inferring ancestral sequences, and testing evolutionary hypotheses.
- http://www.megasoftware.net/ || AUR
- MUMmer — Bioinformatics software system for sequence alignment based on suffix trees.
- UGENE — Application that integrates dozens of well-known biological tools and algorithms, providing both graphical user and command-line interfaces.
- http://ugene.unipro.ru/ || AUR
- Avogadro — Editor, viewer and simulator for 3D molecule structures (also supports downloading files from the Protein Data Bank).
- BALLView — Standalone molecular modeling and visualization application, part of the BALL framework.
- http://www.ballview.org/ || AUR
- Ghemical — Computational chemistry software package used to edit, view and simulate molecular structures.
- PyMOL — Open-source molecular visualization system that can produce high quality 3D images of small molecules and biological macromolecules, such as proteins.
- http://pymol.org || AUR
- RasMol — Computer program written for molecular graphics visualization intended and used primarily for the depiction and exploration of biological macromolecule structures.
- http://www.rasmol.org/ || AUR
- BKChem — Practical and goodlooking skeletal formula molecule drawing program.
- http://bkchem.zirael.org/ || AUR
- Chemtool — GTK+-based program for drawing chemical structural formulas.
- EasyChem — Simple skeletal formula molecule drawing program with a focus on producing press-quality figures.
- Gabedit — Graphical user interface to computational chemistry packages like GAMESS, Gaussian, MOLCAS, MOLPRO, MPQC, OpenMopac, Firefly (previously PC GAMESS) and Q-Chem.
- XDrawChem — Extensive skeletal formula molecule drawing program (includes spectroscopy prediction).
- gElemental — Periodic table of the elements with additional information.
- Kalzium — Periodic table of the elements with molecule editor and equation solver from the KDE desktop.
- Bioclipse — Java-based visual platform for biochemestry that uses the Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP).
- GROMACS (GROningen MAchine for Chemical Simulations) — Versatile package to perform molecular dynamics, i.e. simulate the Newtonian equations of motion for systems with hundreds to millions of particles.
- http://www.gromacs.org || AUR
- Quantum ESPRESSO — Integrated suite of applications for electronic-structure calculations and materials modeling at nanoscale. It is based on density-functional theory, plane waves, and pseudopotentials (both norm-conserving and ultrasoft).
- ImageJ — Java-based image processing and analysing program that provides extensibility via plugins and macros. It is widely used in microscopy (e.g. for cell counting).
- http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij || AUR
- Celestia — 3D astronomy simulation program that allows users to travel through an extensive universe, modeled after reality, at any speed, in any direction and at any time in history.
- GIMP Astronomy Plugins — Set of GIMP plugins for astronomical image processing.
- GoQat — Camera acquisition software, especially for QSI cameras, that provides other features such as autoguiding, focusing help and others.
- KStars — Planetarium application that provides an accurate graphical simulation of the night sky, from any location on Earth, at any date and time. It is included in KDE Edu.
- Open PHD Guiding — Telescope autoguiding software based on the famous PHD Guiding.
- Qastrocam-g2 — Webcam acquisition software for planetary imaging.
- Skychart / Cartes du Ciel — Planetarium that maps out and labels most of the constellations, planets, and objects you can see with a telescope. It can also download Digitized Sky Survey Charts and superimpose images over these charts.
- StarPlot — 3-dimensional star chart viewer.
- http://starplot.org/ || AUR
- Stellarium — Beautiful 3D planetarium that uses OpenGL to render a realistic sky in real time.
- XEphem — Motif-based ephemeris and planetarium program.
- gEDA — Full suite and toolkit of Electronic Design Automation tools that are used for electrical circuit design, schematic capture, simulation, prototyping, and production.
- KiCAD — Software suite for electronic design automation (EDA) that facilitates the design of schematics for electronic circuits and their conversion to PCB (printed circuit board).
- KLogic — Application used for easily building and simulating digital circuits.
- http://www.a-rostin.de/ || AUR
- KTechLab — IDE for electronic and PIC microcontroller circuit design and simulation featuring an extensive circuit designer with autorouting and simulation of all common electronic components and logic elements.
- Oregano — Graphical software application for schematic capture and simulation of electrical circuits. The actual simulation is done by the ngspice or Gnucap engines.
- QElectroTech — Application used to draw advanced electrical circuits.
- http://qelectrotech.org/ || AUR
- Qucs — Electronics circuit simulator application that gives you the ability to set up a circuit with a graphical user interface and simulate its large-signal, small-signal and noise behaviour.
- Code_Aster — Software package for Civil and Structural Engineering finite element analysis and numeric simulation in structural mechanics.
- http://www.code-aster.org || AUR
- Step — Two-dimensional physics simulation engine that is included in the KDE desktop as part of KDE Edu.
- ConvertAll — Unit conversion application that allows one to combine units in any way (e.g. inches per decade), even if it does not make sense.
- http://convertall.bellz.org/ || AUR
- Gonvert — Conversion utility that allows conversion between many units like CGS, Ancient, Imperial with many categories like length, mass, numbers, etc.
- Units — Command-line unit converter and calculator that can handle multiplicative scale changes, nonlinear conversions such as Fahrenheit to Celsius or wire gauge and others.