MSI Wind U120
This article pertains to installing Arch Linux on the MSI Wind U120 netbook. It does not cover the entire installation process, but rather any quirks that are above and beyond what you might encounter during a routine Arch installation.
The MSI Wind U120 is known to ship with a few different configurations...
- 1.6GHz Intel Atom N270 "Diamondville" Processor
- 1GB DDR2 RAM @ 533MHz (timings: 4-4-4)
- Intel i945GSE northbridge chipset (graphics)
- Intel 82801GHM (ICH7M) southbridge chipset (audio and other peripherals)
- 160GB SATA HDD 5400RPM (WDC WD1600BEVTY-22ZCT0)
- Realtek RTL8101E Ethernet adaptor
- Realtek RTL8187SE Wireless (b/g modes)
- BisonCam NB Pro 1.3 megapixel webcam
- 3G network capabilities
- Bluetooth adaptor
Hardware components as reported by lspci:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03) 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03) 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03) 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02) 00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02) 00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02) 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02) 00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02) 00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02) 00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02) 00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02) 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2) 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02) 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02) 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02) 02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8187SE Wireless LAN Controller (rev 22)
Consult the standard documentation on Arch Linux installation for general installation steps. What follows are items of particular interest to U120 owners.
Dual Boot Windows/Linux
The U120 ships with three partitions (sizes are approximate):
- 4GB hidden partition containing system recovery information
- 35GB Windows XP Home system partition
- 90GB empty partition for general storage
If you wish to retain Windows XP, choose the manual partition method during the Arch installation and change only the third partition (sda3). You can also use a partition management program to resize the Windows XP partition before installing Arch Linux. This author used a GParted Live CD to reduce the XP partition to 25GB prior to installing Arch.
Kernel Modules (Drivers)
For the most part the hardware should Just Work™. Hardware-specific modules include:
i915 intel graphics r8169 realtek ethernet rtl8187se realtek wifi snd_hda_intel intel audio uvcvideo bisoncam nb pro webcam
- i915 - you will, of course, need to install the xf86-video-intel package and configure Xorg for a proper desktop.
- uvcvideo - you may need to add this module to the MODULES array in /etc/rc.conf for automatic loading.