Well, it might seem sacrilegious to assume Arch is not fast enough by default, but just seeing my newly installed Arch booting in comparison to what I have been used to (SuSE) made me taste how satisfactory it is to squeeze your system into a more streamlined shape, and so I wondered if this could be driven even further.
This page will host descriptions of various techniques of improving Arch's speed on different occasions. In general, risky operations (either in terms of security or stability) should be marked as such and we should have lower-risk methods have priority.
Unfortunately I haven't the time to write much in here very quickly, so for the time being, here's a list of resources and todos:
- Link to all relevant pages/sections already on the wiki (results for 'speed')
- profiling with bootchart, auditd, filemon (http://bootchart.org/misc/filemon/, http://bootchart.org/misc/filemon-app/), time
- prefetch (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2007-August/001440.html)
- preload (http://code.google.com/p/prefetch/, http://sourceforge.net/projects/preload)
- Wu Fengguang's adaptive readahead in kernel (http://kerneltrap.org/node/6642, http://lwn.net/Articles/155510/, http://www.linuxinsight.com/adaptive_readahead_benchmark.html)
- ondemand readahead in kernel (http://lwn.net/Articles/235164/)
- Robin Hugh Johnson's readahead-list (http://freshmeat.net/projects/readahead-list/, http://research.iat.sfu.ca/custom-software/readahead-list/)
- Karel Zak's readahead @ fedora (https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/readahead/, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=156442)
- other distributions' speedup howtos
- bootchart results (http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=69579, http://www.fooishbar.org/blog//tech/ubuntu/fastBootMiniBoF-2004-12-09-13-45.html, http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-November/msg01374.html, http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/BootTimeOptimisation, http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot.html?ca=dgr-lnxw82-obg-BootFast, http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/apme/optimizations/, http://wiki.debian.org/?BootProcessSpeedup, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FasterBootProcess)
- faster alternatives to common apps/tools