Link to NewPages?
- Why not take inspiration from Wikipedia:MediaWiki:Sidebar and create our own "interaction" menu? Besides Special:NewPages we could move there Special:RecentChanges, Category:Help, and add links to ArchWiki:Contributing, ArchWiki:Reports and ArchWiki:Requests. -- Kynikos (talk) 14:52, 25 February 2014 (UTC)
- Just brainstorming here, but also a link like Recent changes (alt) could encourage participation in talk pages. -- Kynikos (talk) 04:20, 26 February 2014 (UTC)
- Of course you make a good point with translations. Actually that's never been a strict requirement, in that discussion it was more of a proposed improvement, since that link was the only untranslated one in the whole sidebar. Maybe if we force English on all the links in this new "interaction" menu it won't look bad at all even in non-English interfaces.
- I've been bold and updated the sidebar, let's wait for reactions and opinions.
- -- Kynikos (talk) 10:14, 27 February 2014 (UTC)
Remove "Random page"?
While we are at it, is there some particular case when Special:Random is useful? Or is it in the menu just because it is used on Wikipedia, probably added by default and nobody removed it yet?
I find it useless because it does not stick to one language, though I think it sticks to the Main namespace (it is hard to verify this empirically). So even if we moved each language into its own namespace, it would probably work only for English.
- It does stick to the Main namespace. I happen to use it, e.g. when I want to test Wiki Monkey on random pages. I think it's also been used in the past to fix the style on random articles instead of using a page list. I'd keep it, maybe we can leave this discussion open to hear more opinions. -- Kynikos (talk) 01:30, 1 March 2014 (UTC)