AUR. This package includes the official game plus a script for launching it.AUR is available in the
Otherwise, just get the Minecraft jar file.
If you installed Minecraft from the AUR, you can use the included script:
Otherwise, you will need to manually launch Minecraft:
$ java -jar Minecraft.jar
There are several programs and editors which can make your Minecraft experience a little easier to navigate. The most common of these programs are map generators. Using one of these programs will allow you to load up a Minecraft world file and render it as a 2D image, providing you with a top-down map of the world.
Minutor is described as a minimalistic map generator for Minecraft. Don't let this mislead you, it generates maps of existing worlds, not the other way around. You are provided with a simple GTK based interface for viewing your world. Several rendering modes are available, as well as custom coloring modes and the ability to slice through z-levels. AUR.AUR is available in the
There are two AUR packages for easy installation of a minecraft server.
For a server compatible with systemd, install
aur/minecraft-server and then enable the service:
$ systemctl enable minecraftd $ systemctl start minecraftd
- Monitor the minecraft server by running the below command as root:
# screen -r
(Remember that one can exit screen sessions with
/srv/minecraft. Add your user to the
minecraftgroup to modify minecraft settings.
For a server that uses the legacy rc scripts, install
You can also run a dedicated Minecraft server:
- Follow the steps above to install Java
- Download the multiplayer server from the Minecraft site
- Run the server:
$ java -Xmx2048M -Xms2048M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
(You can sub the -Xmx and -Xms values for the amount of memory you want your server to use. A good rule of thumb is one GB per ten users.)
- To configure the server, take a look at this wiki page.
- Establishing a Minecraft-specific user is recommended for security. By running Minecraft under an unprivileged user account, anyone who successfully exploits your Minecraft server will only get access to that user account, and not yours.
- To leave the server running unattended, look into tmux or screen.
- You may wish to modify your server, to provide additional features:
- You might even set up a cron job with a mapper to generate periodic maps of your world.
- ...or you could use rsync to perform routine backups.