Moonlight is a free and open source implementation of Silverlight, primarily for Linux and other Unix/X11 based operating systems. Moonlight 1.0 was released on January 20 2009 and Moonlight 2 was released December 17, 2009
Moonlight is also usable in others browsers aside of Firefox, as a Gtk+ widget.
There are two options for installing Moonlight in Firefox.
Option 1: Go to the download page of the Moonlight website and download and install the xpi file.
Installing extensions from outside the Chrome Web Store is a hidden option in newer versions of Chrome.
- Download the Moonlight package for Chrome.
- Make sure no page is currently opened inside Chrome that is trying to load Silverlight/Moonlight.
- Go to the extensions page.
- Enable 'Developer mode' (top right).
- Now drag and drop the extension file you downloaded in step 1 to the extensions page.
- You can now turn off developer mode if you wish.