The NetBeans IDE is written in Java and runs everywhere where a JVM is installed, including Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and Solaris. A JDK is required for Java development functionality, but is not required for development in other programming languages.
(based on wikipedia)
Font antialiasing in Netbeans
For some time now, the newer version of netbeans, no longer displays the “Advanced Options” that allows for anti-aliased fonts. And frankly speaking, the fonts look terrible.
Edit the file /usr/share/netbeans/etc/netbeans.conf and add the switches ‘-J-Dswing.aatext=true -J-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on’ to ‘netbeans_default_options’.
GTK look and feel
For change netbeans look and feel to GTK Edit the file /usr/share/netbeans/etc/netbeans.conf and add the switchs ‘--laf com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel’ to ‘netbeans_default_options’.
OpenJDK vs Sun's JDK
Netbeans 7.0-1 will not ALWAYS work with OpenJDK. Some reported issues are:
- Starting - In some cases, netbeans will not start.
- Installation - The .sh script provided by netbeans will not launch wizard.
Glassfish server - Can`t download Glassfish server I/O Exception
If you are trying add new Glassfish server, you can`t download the server. Netbeans returns
- Download GlassFish Server Open Source Edition manualy from official site, actual link is http://download.java.net/glassfish/3.0.1/release/glassfish-3.0.1-ml.zip
- Extract from zip to any location
Netbeans doesn't start after its first start
If you receive a message like this when executing from terminal:
# netbeans -h Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/i386/libsplashscreen.so: libgif.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
You have two options:
- You can start Netbeans using the --nosplash option:
# netbeans --nosplash
- Or, install the missing library (then starting Netbeans as usual will work) :
# sudo pacman -S libungif