From Wikipedia article:
- "The NetBeans IDE is written in Java and can run anywhere a compatible JVM is installed, including Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and Solaris. A JDK is required for Java development functionality, but is not required for development in other programming languages."
Tips and tricks
Font antialiasing in Netbeans
GTK look and feel
To change Netbeans look and feel to GTK add switch
--laf com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel to IDE command line by appending it to ‘netbeans_default_options’ section of
/usr/share/netbeans/etc/netbeans.conf or editing .desktop file with which you launch Netbeans.
OpenJDK vs Sun's JDK
Netbeans 7.0-1 will not ALWAYS work with OpenJDK. Some reported issues are:
- Starting - In some cases, netbeans will not start.
- Installation - The .sh script provided by netbeans will not launch wizard.
Glassfish server - Can`t download Glassfish server I/O Exception
If you are trying add new Glassfish server, you can`t download the server. Netbeans returns
- Download GlassFish Server Open Source Edition manualy from official site, actual link is http://download.java.net/glassfish/3.0.1/release/glassfish-3.0.1-ml.zip
- Extract from zip to any location
Netbeans doesn't start after its first start
If you receive a message like this when executing from terminal:
# netbeans -h
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/i386/libsplashscreen.so: libgif.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
You have two options:
- You can start Netbeans using the --nosplash option:
# netbeans --nosplash
- Or, install the missing library ( ), then starting Netbeans as usual will work.
Netbeans starts with a completely grey window
# wmname LG3D