From Wikipedia article:
- "The NetBeans IDE is written in Java and can run anywhere a compatible JVM is installed, including Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and Solaris. A JDK is required for Java development functionality, but is not required for development in other programming languages."
- 1 Installation
- 2 Tips and tricks
- 3 Integrate with tomcat
- 4 Troubleshooting
Tips and tricks
- Settings in local version of netbeans.conf override the same settings in the global copy of the file.
- Command-line options override settings in either of the configuration files.
Font antialiasing in Netbeans
-J-Dswing.aatext=TRUE -J-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on to the 'netbeans_default_options' line of your netbeans.conf file.
Look and feel
To change Netbeans look and feel, add switch
--laf yourLookAndFeel to IDE command line by appending it to ‘netbeans_default_options’ section of
/usr/share/netbeans/etc/netbeans.conf or editing .desktop file with which you launch Netbeans.
Integrate with tomcat
It is possible to debug web applications running on tomcat within netbeans:
First install, tomcat and configure /etc/tomcat7/tomcat-users.xml
Then, in netbeans go to Tools>Servers>Add Server and select Apache Tomcat.
In server location specify /usr/share/tomcat7
Check "Use Private Configuration Folder (Catalina Base)" and specify an empty directory where the applications will be deployed, for example /home/USER_NAME/.tomcat7
Finally, set the username and password you configured in /etc/tomcat7/tomcat-users.xml
OpenJDK vs Sun's JDK
Netbeans 7.0-1 will not ALWAYS work with OpenJDK. Some reported issues are:
- Starting - In some cases, netbeans will not start.
- Installation - The .sh script provided by netbeans will not launch wizard (any proofs?).
- JavaFX module does not work (see FS#29843).
Glassfish server - Can`t download Glassfish server I/O Exception
If you are trying add new Glassfish server, you can`t download the server. Netbeans returns
- Download GlassFish Server Open Source Edition manualy from official site, actual link is http://download.java.net/glassfish/3.0.1/release/glassfish-3.0.1-ml.zip
- Extract from zip to any location
Netbeans doesn't start after its first start
If you receive a message like this when executing from terminal:
# netbeans -h
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/i386/libsplashscreen.so: libgif.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
You have two options:
- You can start Netbeans using the --nosplash option:
# netbeans --nosplash
- Or, install the missing library ( ), then starting Netbeans as usual will work.
Netbeans starts with a completely grey window
This may not be quite 100% out of date; the problem occurred while using NetBeans 7.2, OpenJDK 7.u7_2.3.2-2, "$ java -version" reporting 1.7.0_07. The following is robbed from Awesome's wiki (although I experienced the problem using Xmonad), which fixed my all-grey window problem:
$ _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1; export _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING
Integrate Netbeans with kwallet
Netbeans may need to store some passwords. It can do that in kwallet. See netbeans' wiki []
However, you need to install and configureso that netbeans find the qdbus command:
$ pacman -S qtchooser $ ln -sf /etc/xdg/qtchooser/4.conf /etc/xdg/qtchooser/default.conf
See forum discussion []