This article lists games, which are playable on virtually every computer with more than 512Mb memory. For more modern and cool looking games see Common Applications/Games.
- Counter-Strike 2D — 2D clone (+additional features) of the popular Counter-Strike Mod
- Doukutsu/Cave Story — addictive 1-man-made metroid-vania-esque platformer.
- if there happens to be a notable lag when there are lots of enemies on screen or in larger levels, try running the windows version through Wine. It will probably fix this problem.
- http://www.cavestory.org || AUR
- Hedgewars — Yet another Worms clone, considered to be better than it's 2D predecessor by many. Take turns to blast your opponents to oblivion with comedic results! Best in Multiplayer
- Wormux (now Warmux) — Somewhat similar to Worms 2/Worms Armageddon
- Teeworlds — fast-paced 2D multiplayer shooter
- Frogatto — much enjoyable platformer, in which you help a small green fellow named Frogatto walk and jump between solid footholds without getting hurt; have a look at this review.
- AssaultCube — realistic team oriented multiplayer FPS based on the Cube engine
- Blood Frontier & ndash; Team oriented multiplayer FPS based on the Cube2 (Sauerbraten) engine
- low-fps on big maps. Kinda playable on small maps in duel mode
- Tweaks: set all to low, disable all special effects
- Cube – realistic team oriented multiplayer FPS based on the Cube engine
- runs with little slowdown out of pacman
- Tweaks: not yet added
- Netpanzer – realtime Strategy game like Command and Conquer but without building bases.
- runs perfectly out of aur
- OpenArena – fast multiplayer shooter based on the quake3-engine
- Sauerbraten – Next-generation Cube Engine
- runs with slowdown out of pacman
- Tweaks: set all params to low, avoid huge maps
- Quake 3 – Just quake 3 =)
- runs perfectly, out of pacman with quake3 or ioquake3
- Urban Terror 4.1 – modern multiplayer FPS based on the ioquake3 engine
- runs decently when most graphics-related options are low, but still looks great even with low-quality settings
- available from AUR
- Unknown Horizons — 2.5D isometric realtime strategy simulation with an emphasis on economy and city building. Expand your small settlement to a strong and wealthy colony, collect taxes and supply your inhabitants with valuable goods. Increase your power with a well balanced economy and with strategic trade and diplomacy
- Warzone 2100 - 2.* — Warzone, GPLed and rewritten. RTS
- Widelands – slow-paced strategy like "the Settlers 2"
- runs perfectly, out of the box from aur installation
- Battle for Wesnoth — free, turn-based tactical strategy game with a high fantasy theme, featuring both single-player, and online/hotseat multiplayer combat
- Freeciv — multiuser clone of the famous Microprose game of Civilization
- OpenTTD — open source clone of the Microprose game "Transport Tycoon Deluxe", a popular game originally written by Chris Sawyer. It attempts to mimic the original game as closely as possible while extending it with new features
- Angband — roguelike dungeon exploration game based on the writings of JRR Tolkien
- Dwarf Fortress — single-player fantasy game. You control a dwarven outpost or an adventurer in a randomly generated persistent world
- ASCIIpOrtal — sidescrolling game with ANSI text graphics in which you are a person holding a device which creates portals, or links to other parts of the level
- Rogue — original dungeon crawl game
- ADOM — Ancient Domains Of Mystery
- Nethack — single player dungeon exploration game
- DoomRL — Simple roguelike game, based on Doom. Perfect for starters
- http://doom.chaosforge.org/ || AUR
- Crawl (aka Dungeon Crawl) — Linley's Dungeon Crawl)
- http://www.dungeoncrawl.org/ || AUR
- bs — Battleships based shooter for the console
- http://www.catb.org/~esr/bs/ || AUR
- Stone Soup — Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
- http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/ || package?
- Chroma - A puzzle game like Sokoban with ncurses mode.
- nInvaders - in AUR, Ncurses based space invaders clone.
- ToME (aka Troubles of Middle Earth).
- BSD Games - Collection of classic text games distributed with *BSD. Available in Community.
- fortune-mod Displays Random messages/quotes/jokes when invoked. Available in Extra.
- GNU Chess — one of the oldest computer chess programs for Unix-based computers, lets most modern computers play a full game of chess
- Eboard — chess interface to ICS and chess engines
Wine does not slowdown most games (even speeds up some), so all games with low system requirements that run in Windows works in Wine too. Consult AppDB for game-specific compability information.