This article lists games, which are playable on virtually every computer with at least 512MB system memory. For more modern and cool looking games see Common Applications/Games.
- FreedroidRPG — mature science fiction role playing game set in the future
- Counter-Strike 2D — 2D clone (+additional features) of the popular Counter-Strike Mod
- Doukutsu/Cave Story — addictive 1-man-made metroid-vania-esque platformer.
- If there happens to be a noticible lag when there are lots of enemies on screen or in larger levels, try running the Windows version through Wine. This should fix the problem.
- http://www.cavestory.org || AUR
- Hedgewars — Yet another Worms clone, considered to be better than its predecessor by many. Take turns to blast your opponents into oblivion with comedic results! Best in Multiplayer.
- Wormux (now Warmux) — Somewhat similar to Worms 2/Worms Armageddon
- Teeworlds — fast-paced 2D multiplayer shooter
- Frogatto — much enjoyable platformer, in which you help a small green fellow named Frogatto walk and jump between solid footholds without getting hurt; have a look at this review.
- Nikki and the Robots — cute physics platformer
- http://joyridelabs.de/game/ || AUR
- AssaultCube — realistic team oriented multiplayer FPS based on the Cube engine. Features a single-player bot system.
- Blood Frontier – Team oriented multiplayer FPS based on the Cube2 (Sauerbraten) engine
- low-fps on big maps. Kinda playable on small maps in duel mode
- Tweaks: set all to low, disable all special effects
- Cube – realistic team oriented multiplayer FPS based on the Cube engine.
- runs with little slowdown out of pacman
- Tweaks: not yet added
- OpenArena – fast multiplayer shooter based on the quake3-engine
- Sauerbraten – Next-generation Cube Engine
- runs with slowdown out of pacman
- Tweaks: set all parameters to low, avoid huge maps
- Quake 3 – Just quake 3 =)
- runs perfectly, out of pacman with quake3 or ioquake3
- Urban Terror 4.1 – modern multiplayer FPS based on the ioquake3 engine
- runs decently when most graphics-related options are set to low, but still looks great even with low-quality settings
- available from AUR
- Netpanzer – realtime Strategy game like Command and Conquer but without building bases.
- runs perfectly out of aur
- Unknown Horizons — 2.5D isometric realtime strategy simulation with an emphasis on economy and city building. Expand your small settlement to a strong and wealthy colony, collect taxes and supply your inhabitants with valuable goods. Increase your power with a well balanced economy and with strategic trade and diplomacy
- Warzone 2100 - 2.* — In Warzone 2100, you command the forces of The Project in a battle to rebuild the world after mankind has almost been destroyed by nuclear missiles. The game offers campaign, multi-player, and single-player skirmish modes. An extensive tech tree with over 400 different technologies, combined with the unit design system, allows for a wide variety of possible units and tactics
- Battle for Wesnoth — free, turn-based tactical strategy game with a high fantasy theme, featuring both single-player, and online/hotseat multiplayer combat
- Freeciv — multiuser clone of the famous Microprose game of Civilization
- Freecol — turn-based strategy game based on Colonization
- Widelands — slow-paced strategy like "the Settlers 2"
- http://widelands.org Widelands ||
- Singularity (Endgame)] — turn based single player strategy/simulation about a AI hiding, growing and evolving
- Penguin Command - A clone of the classic game "Missile Command" with improved graphics and sound.
- Lgeneral - Turn-based strategy engine heavily inspired by Panzer General.
- OpenTTD — open source clone of the Microprose game "Transport Tycoon Deluxe", a popular game originally written by Chris Sawyer. It attempts to mimic the original game as closely as possible while extending it with new features
- Chroma — puzzle game like Sokoban with ncurses mode
- XMoto — challenging 2D motocross platform game, where physics play an important role
- Ri-li — toy wood engine GPL game
- Angband — roguelike dungeon exploration game based on the writings of JRR Tolkien
- Dwarf Fortress — single-player fantasy game. You control a dwarven outpost or an adventurer in a randomly generated persistent world
- ASCIIpOrtal — sidescrolling game with ANSI text graphics in which you are a person holding a device which creates portals, or links to other parts of the level
- Rogue — original dungeon crawl game
- ADOM — Ancient Domains Of Mystery
- Nethack — single player dungeon exploration game
- DoomRL — Simple roguelike game, based on Doom. Perfect for starters
- http://doom.chaosforge.org/ || AUR
- Crawl (aka Dungeon Crawl) — Linley's Dungeon Crawl)
- http://www.dungeoncrawl.org/ || AUR
- bs — Battleships based shooter for the console
- http://www.catb.org/~esr/bs/ || AUR
- Stone Soup — Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
- http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/ || package?
- nInvaders - in AUR, Ncurses based space invaders clone.
- ToME (aka Troubles of Middle Earth).
- BSD Games - Collection of classic text games distributed with *BSD. Available in Community.
- fortune-mod Displays Random messages/quotes/jokes when invoked. Available in Extra.
- GNU Chess — one of the oldest computer chess programs for Unix-based computers, lets most modern computers play a full game of chess
- Eboard — chess interface to ICS and chess engines
Wine does not slowdown most games (even speeds up some), so all games with low system requirements that run in Windows works in Wine too. Consult AppDB for game-specific compability information.