This article lists games, which are playable on virtually every computer with at least 512MB system memory. For more modern and cool looking games see Common Applications/Games.
- FreedroidRPG — mature science fiction role playing game set in the future
- Cave Story/Doukutsu — addictive 1-man-made metroid-vania-esque platformer.
- If there happens to be a noticible lag when there are lots of enemies on screen or in larger levels, try running the Windows version through Wine. This should fix the problem.
- http://www.cavestory.org || AUR
- Counter-Strike 2D — 2D clone (+additional features) of the popular Counter-Strike Mod
- Frogatto — much enjoyable platformer, in which you help a small green fellow named Frogatto walk and jump between solid footholds without getting hurt; have a look at this review.
- Frozen Bubble — arcade game with colorful animated penguin eyecandy
- Hedgewars — Yet another Worms clone, considered to be better than its predecessor by many. Take turns to blast your opponents into oblivion with comedic results! Best in Multiplayer.
- Mari0 — The Mario game with Portal gun mechanics.
- Nikki and the Robots — cute physics platformer
- http://joyridelabs.de/game/ || AUR
- Open Syobon Action — cross platform, open source version of the unforgiving Japanese parody of Super Mario Bros
- Teeworlds — fast-paced 2D multiplayer shooter
- Wormux (now Warmux) — Somewhat similar to Worms 2/Worms Armageddon
- AssaultCube — realistic team oriented multiplayer FPS based on the Cube engine. Features a single-player bot system.
- Blood Frontier – Team oriented multiplayer FPS based on the Cube2 (Sauerbraten) engine
- low-fps on big maps. Kinda playable on small maps in duel mode
- Tweaks: set all to low, disable all special effects
- Cube – realistic team oriented multiplayer FPS based on the Cube engine.
- runs with little slowdown out of pacman
- Tweaks: not yet added
- OpenArena – fast multiplayer shooter based on the quake3-engine
- Sauerbraten – Next-generation Cube Engine
- runs with slowdown out of pacman
- Tweaks: set all parameters to low, avoid huge maps
- Quake 3 – Just quake 3 =)
- runs perfectly, out of pacman with quake3 or ioquake3
- Urban Terror 4.1 – modern multiplayer FPS based on the ioquake3 engine
- runs decently when most graphics-related options are set to low, but still looks great even with low-quality settings
- available from AUR
- Netpanzer — realtime Strategy game like Command and Conquer but without building bases.
- http://www.netpanzer.org/ || AUR
- Unknown Horizons — 2.5D isometric realtime strategy simulation with an emphasis on economy and city building. Expand your small settlement to a strong and wealthy colony, collect taxes and supply your inhabitants with valuable goods. Increase your power with a well balanced economy and with strategic trade and diplomacy
- Warzone 2100 - 2.* — In Warzone 2100, you command the forces of The Project in a battle to rebuild the world after mankind has almost been destroyed by nuclear missiles. The game offers campaign, multi-player, and single-player skirmish modes. An extensive tech tree with over 400 different technologies, combined with the unit design system, allows for a wide variety of possible units and tactics
- Battle for Wesnoth — free, turn-based tactical strategy game with a high fantasy theme, featuring both single-player, and online/hotseat multiplayer combat
- Freeciv — multiuser clone of the famous Microprose game of Civilization
- Freecol — turn-based strategy game based on Colonization
- Widelands — slow-paced strategy like "the Settlers 2"
- Singularity (Endgame) — turn based single player strategy/simulation about a AI hiding, growing and evolving
- Penguin Command - A clone of the classic game "Missile Command" with improved graphics and sound.
- Lgeneral - Turn-based strategy engine heavily inspired by Panzer General.
- OpenTTD — open source clone of the Microprose game "Transport Tycoon Deluxe", a popular game originally written by Chris Sawyer. It attempts to mimic the original game as closely as possible while extending it with new features
- Chroma — puzzle game like Sokoban with ncurses mode
- XMoto — challenging 2D motocross platform game, where physics play an important role
- Ri-li — toy wood engine GPL game
- ADOM — Ancient Domains Of Mystery
- Angband — roguelike dungeon exploration game based on the writings of JRR Tolkien
- ASCIIpOrtal — sidescrolling game with ANSI text graphics in which you are a person holding a device which creates portals, or links to other parts of the level
- bs — Battleships based shooter for the console
- http://www.catb.org/~esr/bs/ || AUR
- Crawl (aka Dungeon Crawl) — Linley's Dungeon Crawl)
- http://www.dungeoncrawl.org/ || AUR
- DoomRL — Simple roguelike game, based on Doom. Perfect for starters
- http://doom.chaosforge.org/ || AUR
- Dwarf Fortress — single-player fantasy game. You control a dwarven outpost or an adventurer in a randomly generated persistent world
- Nethack — single player dungeon exploration game
- nInvaders — Ncurses based space invaders clone
- Rogue — original dungeon crawl game
- Stone Soup — Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
- ToME (aka Troubles of Middle Earth) — A dungeon crawler similar to Angband, based on the works of Tolkien. 2.X.X series.
- BSD Games — Collection of classic text games distributed with *BSD
- Fortune — Displays Random messages/quotes/jokes when invoked
- Digital: A Love Story — computer mystery/romance set five minutes into the future of 1988
- Don't take it personally — almost kinetic visual novel that tells a story of a new high school literature teacher, set in a prestigious private high school, and on the social networks of 2027
- RE: Alistair++ — English otome game (subtype of visual novel) that tells a story of a young girl fond of MMORPGs, her online and everyday life
- Narcissu — visual novel, telling the story of a terminally ill young man and woman
- http://narcissu.insani.org/ || AUR
- Katawa Shoujo — bishoujo-style visual novel game that tells a story of a young man and five other girls suffering with varying disabilities
- http://katawa-shoujo.com/ || AUR
- Inform — design system for interactive fiction based on natural language
- http://inform7.com/ || AUR
- INSTEAD — quest interpreter using Lua macros as game writing language
- TADS — prototype-based domain-specific programming language and set of standard libraries for creating interactive fiction (IF) games
- http://www.tads.org/ || AUR
- GNU Chess — one of the oldest computer chess programs for Unix-based computers, lets most modern computers play a full game of chess
- Eboard — chess interface to ICS and chess engines
Wine does not slowdown most games (even speeds up some), so all games with low system requirements that run in Windows works in Wine too. Consult Wine AppDB for game-specific compability information.