This article lists games, which are playable on virtually every computer with at least 512MB system memory. For more modern and cool looking games see List of Applications/Games.
- Cave Story/Doukutsu — Addictive 1-man-made metroid-vania-esque platformer.
- If there happens to be a noticible lag when there are lots of enemies on screen or in larger levels, try running the Windows version through Wine. This should fix the problem.
- http://cavestory.org || AUR
- Counter-Strike 2D — 2D clone (+additional features) of the popular Counter-Strike Mod
- http://cs2d.com || AUR
- Frogatto — Much enjoyable platformer, in which you help a small green fellow named Frogatto walk and jump between solid footholds without getting hurt; have a look at this review.
- Frozen Bubble — Arcade game with colorful animated penguin eyecandy
- Hedgewars — Yet another Worms clone, considered to be better than its predecessor by many. Take turns to blast your opponents into oblivion with comedic results! Best in Multiplayer.
- Mari0 — The Mario game with Portal gun mechanics.
- Nikki and the Robots — Cute physics platformer
- http://joyridelabs.de/game/ || AUR
- Open Syobon Action — Cross platform, open source version of the unforgiving Japanese parody of Super Mario Bros
- Teeworlds — Fast-paced 2D multiplayer shooter
- Wormux (now Warmux) — Somewhat similar to Worms 2/Worms Armageddon
- GNU Chess — One of the oldest computer chess programs for Unix-based computers, lets most modern computers play a full game of chess
- Eboard — Chess interface to ICS and chess engines
- http://bergo.eng.br/eboard || AUR
- Inform — Design system for interactive fiction based on natural language
- http://inform7.com/ || AUR
- INSTEAD — Quest interpreter using Lua macros as game writing language
- TADS — Prototype-based domain-specific programming language and set of standard libraries for creating interactive fiction (IF) games
- http://tads.org || AUR
- Chroma — Puzzle game like Sokoban with ncurses and graphics mode
- Ri-li — Toy wood engine GPL game
- Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection — 30+ "quick" puzzle games with simplistic but polished GTK GUI
- XMoto — Challenging 2D motocross platform game, where physics play an important role
- ADOM — Ancient Domains Of Mystery
- http://adom.de || AUR
- Angband — Roguelike dungeon exploration game based on the writings of JRR Tolkien
- ASCIIpOrtal — Sidescrolling game with ANSI text graphics in which you are a person holding a device which creates portals, or links to other parts of the level
- Crawl (aka Dungeon Crawl) — Linley's Dungeon Crawl)
- http://www.dungeoncrawl.org/ || AUR
- DoomRL — Simple roguelike game, based on Doom. Perfect for starters
- http://doom.chaosforge.org/ || AUR
- Dwarf Fortress — Single-player fantasy game. You control a dwarven outpost or an adventurer in a randomly generated persistent world
- Nethack — Single player dungeon exploration game
- Rogue — Original dungeon crawl game
- Stone Soup — Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
- Troubles of Middle Earth (now Tales of Maj'Eyal) — A dungeon crawler similar to Angband, based on the works of Tolkien.
- bs — Battleships based shooter for the console
- http://www.catb.org/~esr/bs/ || AUR
- BSD Games — Collection of classic text games distributed with *BSD
- Fortune — Displays Random messages/quotes/jokes when invoked
- nInvaders — Ncurses based space invaders clone
- Barrage — Violent point-and-click shooting game with nice effects
- lbreakout2 — Breakout-style arcade game in the manner of Arkanoid
- Lgeneral — Turn-based strategy engine heavily inspired by Panzer General.
- LTris — Arcade version of Tetris
- Penguin Command — Clone of the classic game "Missile Command" with improved graphics and sound.
- FreedroidRPG — Mature science fiction role playing game set in the future
- Netpanzer — Realtime Strategy game like Command and Conquer but without building bases.
- http://www.netpanzer.org/ || AUR
- Unknown Horizons — 2.5D isometric realtime strategy simulation with an emphasis on economy and city building. Expand your small settlement to a strong and wealthy colony, collect taxes and supply your inhabitants with valuable goods. Increase your power with a well balanced economy and with strategic trade and diplomacy
- Widelands — Slow-paced strategy like "the Settlers 2"
- Warzone 2100 - 2.* — You command the forces of The Project in a battle to rebuild the world after mankind has almost been destroyed by nuclear missiles. The game offers campaign, multi-player, and single-player skirmish modes. An extensive tech tree with over 400 different technologies, combined with the unit design system, allows for a wide variety of possible units and tactics
- Battle for Wesnoth — Free, turn-based tactical strategy game with a high fantasy theme, featuring both single-player, and online/hotseat multiplayer combat
- Freeciv — Multiuser clone of the famous Microprose game of Civilization
- FreeCol — Turn-based strategy game based on Colonization
- Singularity (Endgame) — Turn based single player strategy/simulation about a AI hiding, growing and evolving
- OpenTTD — Open source clone of the Microprose game "Transport Tycoon Deluxe", a popular game originally written by Chris Sawyer. It attempts to mimic the original game as closely as possible while extending it with new features
- Digital: A Love Story — Computer mystery/romance set five minutes into the future of 1988
- Don't take it personally — Almost kinetic visual novel that tells a story of a new high school literature teacher, set in a prestigious private high school, and on the social networks of 2027
- RE: Alistair++ — English otome game (subtype of visual novel) that tells a story of a young girl fond of MMORPGs, her online and everyday life
- Narcissu — Visual novel, telling the story of a terminally ill young man and woman
- http://narcissu.insani.org/ || AUR
- Katawa Shoujo — Bishoujo-style visual novel game that tells a story of a young man and five other girls suffering with varying disabilities
- http://katawa-shoujo.com/ || AUR
- Juniper's Knot — short game about boy and fiend
Wine does not slowdown most games (even speeds up some), so most games with low system requirements that run in Windows work in Wine too. Consult Wine AppDB for game-specific compability information.