The easy way
You can just download the generic version (when you are logged in) and install it like any other program.
Or you can use the AUR package AUR:
You should have installed the package group base-devel before (pacman -S base-devel).
- Download PacketTracer533_Generic_Fedora.tar.gz (you can find this package with google)
- Download https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pa/packettracer/packettracer.tar.gz:
- Extract packettracer.tar.gz and go into that directory:
tar -xzf packettracer.tar.gz cd packettracer
- Put PacketTracer533_Generic_Fedora.tar.gz into that directory.
- Run makepkg as a normal user:
- The Package is now build and you could install it for your platform (as root):
pacman -U packettracer-5.3.3-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz
pacman -U packettracer-5.3.3-1-amd64.pkg.tar.xz
The hard (old) way
PacketTracer is an application from Cisco that allows network simulations and training using Cisco/Linksys products (like routers/switches/wireless hardware).
I used to run it under Wine but the Linux version is now available; unfortunately it is only for Ubuntu/Debian and Fedora/Red Hat.
But of course it can be installed on Arch (what can't you do with Arch? :)) with a little work.
- Run the installer. While it displays the license agreement, DO NOT DO ANYTHING! Go to another terminal and run
find /tmp -iname *.deb
- Grab the .deb file, put it somewhere (like
~/tmp) and issue this command:
bsdtar -xf PacketTracer-5.0-u.i386.deb data.tar.gz
- Decompress the data.tar.gz file, it will create a folder
usr within the currently directory, and within
usr/local there is a folder 'PacketTracer5'. Move it to
- To run:
Looks ugly, but you can fix this and make it grab your system theme by symlinking the Qt libraries in
/usr/local/PacketTracer5/lib/ to the ones in
libQt3Support.so.4.3.3 -> /usr/lib/libQt3Support.so.4 libQtCore.so.4.3.3 -> /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4.3.3 libQtGui.so.4.3.3 -> /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4.3.3 libQtNetwork.so.4.3.3 -> /usr/lib/libQtNetwork.so.4 libQtSql.so.4.3.3 -> /usr/lib/libQtSql.so.4 libQtXml.so.4.3.3 -> /usr/lib/libQtXml.so.4