|Summary help replacing me|
|This article covers basic installation procedures and configuration methods for Pantheon, the default desktop environment of elementary OS.|
|GNOME: A DE which is also based on GTK3.|
Pantheon is the default desktop environment originally created for the elementary OS distribution. It is written from scratch using Vala and the GTK3 toolkit. With regards to usability and appearance, the desktop has some similarities with GNOME Shell and Mac OS X.
Pantheon is split into several packages which are all available from the AUR. To get a complete desktop interface, install at least the following additional packages:
- AUR: Wallpaper collection
- AUR: Session manager based on LightDM.
- AUR: Top panel, similar in function to GNOME Shell's top panel.
- AUR: Application launcher located in WingPanel.
- AUR: Dock based on Docky.
- AUR: Settings application (or control panel).
- AUR: Web browser based on WebKit.
- AUR: Email client.
- AUR: Desktop calendar.
- AUR: Audio player
- AUR: Simple text editor.
- AUR: Terminal emulator
- AUR: File manager.