From Puppet web site:
- Puppet is IT automation software that helps system administrators manage infrastructure throughout its lifecycle, from provisioning and configuration to patch management and compliance. Using Puppet, you can easily automate repetitive tasks, quickly deploy critical applications, and proactively manage change, scaling from 10s of servers to 1000s, on-premise or in the cloud.
is available in the official repositories.
If you want to install from Puppet's git repo, AUR.AUR is available through the
Puppet's main configuration file is
puppet.conf which is located at
There are 3 sections to place settings depending if it is a master/agent:
Bare minimum of settings are:
- server: The hostname of the puppet server. Default:
- report: Most users should set this to true.
- pluginsync: Most users should set this to true.
- certname: The certified name of the machine (unique identifier). Default:
Puppet will look for node configuration in
After starting puppet by daemon/cron/standalone, it will generate
You need to accept this certificate in the puppet master with:
sudo puppet cert sign <name>.
Notes on bindaddress for puppet master.
The default value for bindaddress is "0.0.0.0", which makes puppet listen on IPv4 only:
bindaddress = 0.0.0.0
To make puppet master listen on IPv6, set the binaddress value to:
bindaddress = ::
To make puppet listen on both interface, set the value to:
bindaddress = *
Facter is a companion program of puppet that gathers facts about the system it runs on.
# puppet facts find facter # facter -p
"Pacman" is supported by puppet. Installing packages works out of the box since puppet 3.1.0.
Since puppet 3.2.1 systemd on archlinux is fully supported.
The systemd provider in Puppet today only uses two commands for the service enable state:
systemctl is-enabled <unit>, checking return code for the current enable state
systemctl enable/disable <unit> to change it.
Otherwise service running will use:
# systemctl start/stop/restart <unit>
Using the full unit name unit.service is supported.
PuppetDB is the fast, scalable, and reliable data warehouse for Puppet.
It caches data generated by Puppet, and gives you advanced features at awesome speed with a powerful API.
Puppetdb is in aur install AUR and AUR
[More information: https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetdb]