SABnzbd is an open-source binary newsreader written in Python.
- It's totally free, incredibly easy to use, and works practically everywhere. SABnzbd makes Usenet as simple and streamlined as possible by automating everything we can. All you have to do is add an .nzb. SABnzbd takes over from there, where it will be automatically downloaded, verified, repaired, extracted and filed away with zero human interaction.
Install AUR or AUR.
Install to enable SSL support for news servers:
- Transmission of data from the server to the NNTP client is encrypted, protecting your privacy
- Decreasing the chances of throttling NNTP traffic done by the ISP.
- Install and to allow unpacking of archives.
SABnzbd is able to run globally (settings apply to all users) and locally (per user settings). The way of setting up SABnzbd depends on the way it is intended to be used. A local configuration may prove more useful on a desktop system when used by several people simultaneously.
If SABnzbd is started for the first time, the webinterface will present a setup wizard for configuring UI language and a single news server.
Further configuration can be done from within the UI (adding additional servers, setting folder paths etc.) or by editing
Add users to the
sabnzbd user group to allow access to SABnzbd files.
Starting SABnzbd as user
$ sabnzbd, without any further configuration, results in two processes owned by the launching user:
/opt/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -f /home/user/.sabnzbd.ini.
-d parameter to start SABnzbd as daemon:
$ sabnzbd -d
~/sabnzbd.ini/sabnzbd.ini for configuration.
SABnzbd can be easily shutdown in the web-interface or the systemd
It is also possible to shutdown a running (remote) SABnzbd client using the provided API:
$ curl "http(s)://host:port/sabnzbd/api?mode=shutdown&apikey=API-key"
Accessing the web-interface
- SABnzbd can only be accessed on the running computer. Change
host = 127.0.0.1in
host = 0.0.0.0(or the host IP-address) to allow access from another computer.
- SABnzbd listens on port
port = 8080in
sabnzbd.inito the preferred port.
After starting SABnzbd, access the web-interface by browsing to http://127.0.0.1:8080.