Difference between revisions of "SLiM"
m (→Single Environment)
m (→Single Environment)
|Line 43:||Line 43:|
Revision as of 20:44, 6 November 2007
SLiM is an acronym for Simple Login Manager (SLiM). SLiM is simple, lightweight and easily configurable allowing it be used on low and high end systems with relative ease. SLiM is also very convenient for those who want a login manager without the dependencies of Gnome or KDE making it perfect for users running Xfce, Openbox, Fluxbox, etc.
SLiM is available from the standard repositories:
# pacman -S slim
Start on boot
To configure SLiM to load a particular environment, simply edit ~/.xinitrc to look like the following:
#!/bin/sh # # ~/.xinitrc # # Executed by startx (run your window manager from here) # exec [session-command]
Replace [session-command] with the appropriate session command. For example:
To launch Openbox:
# Openbox exec openbox-session
To launch Xfce:
# Xfce exec startxfce4
To launch GNOME:
# GNOME exec gnome-session
To launch KDE:
# KDE exec startkde
If your environment is not listed here, refer to the documentation provided by your software.
If you require the ability to load multiple desktop environments, SLiM can be setup to log you into whichever you choose.
Put a case statement similar to this one in your /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file:
# The following variable defines the session which is started if the user doesn't explicitly select a session DEFAULT_SESSION=twm case $1 in kde) exec startkde ;; xfce4) exec startxfce4 ;; icewm) icewmbg & icewmtray & exec icewm ;; wmaker) exec wmaker ;; blackbox) exec blackbox ;; *) exec $DEFAULT_SESSION ;; esac
Source for sample: http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/slim/trunk/xinitrc.sample
Shutdown, Reboot, Suspend, Exit, Launch Terminal from SLiM
You may shutdown, reboot, suspend, exit or even launch a terminal from the SLiM login screen. To do so, enter the appropriate value in the username field, and the root password in the password field:
- To launch a terminal, enter console as the username (defaults to xterm which must be installed separately... edit /etc/slim.conf to change terminal preference)
- For shutdown, enter halt as the username
- For reboot, enter reboot as the username
- To exit to bash, enter exit as the username
- For suspend, enter suspend as the username (Suspend is disabled by default, edit /etc/slim.conf as root to uncomment the suspend_cmd line and, if necessary modify the suspend command itself (e.g. change /usr/sbin/suspend to sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend))