Samsung R20+ is a lightweight laptop in sub-500€ price range.
- LCD - 14.1" WXGA Glare TFT screen
- CPU - Intel Core Duo T2330 @ 1.60Ghz
- RAM - 2GB DDR2 (2*1GB Sticks / 2 RAM slots)
- VGA - ATi Radeon Xpress 1250
- HDD - 160GB SATA Samsung HM160HIS
- CD/DVD - TS-L632H DL DVD+-RW SuperMulti
- Audio - Realtek ALC262 (SBx00 Azalia)
- Battery - Li-Ion / ~2h
- Audio In / Mic In
- 3 USB 2.0 Ports
- SD Reader
- 1 VGA Out port
- 1 RJ-45
- 1 RJ-11
- 1 Express Card slot
For this laptop I used the 2008.06 Core i686 iso image. The installation procedure went smooth. Audio, Ethernet and Fn keys worked out of box.
This laptop requires a bit tweaking to make it work without glitches on Arch Linux.
Currently I'm using 2.6.25-Arch kernel with ALSA 1.0.16, if you get hda-intel: Invalid position buffer, using LPIB read method instead message from dmesg or /var/log/everything.log edit your /etc/modprobe.conf as root and write :
options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0 position_fix=1
See the Touchpad Synaptics page for instructions. Currently there are some issues with the touchpad which causes enormus CPU usage, freezes and lock-ups. To fix that open, again as root, /boot/grub/menu.lst and in the end of kernel section write :
This laptop uses AR5007EG (lscpi reports it as AR5006EG), currently it doesn't work the drivers included in 2.6.25-ARCH kernel.
- Add :
[archlinuxfr] Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/i686
To your /etc/pacman.conf (place it on the top of all the uncommented repositories).
- Do pacman -Sy yaourt
- yaourt madwifi-newhal-svn
- Remove any Ndiswrapper and wpa supplicant and madwifi related stuff.
- Compile and Install the madwifi-newhal-svn driver
- blacklist the ath5k module in /etc/rc.conf line MODULES by adding the exclamation mark (!) before it.
- Add :
options ath_pci countrycode=
to /etc/modprobe.conf and place your country code after the equal sign.
- Install netcfg2, pacman -Sy netcfg2/core and visit Network Profiles for more instructions.
- After all of that has been done, reboot and your Wifi card should appear as ath0 (use ifconfig -a)
- For more info use the dmesg command in terminal
- Currently audio in hotpluggin doesn't work, thus if you plug in the headphones, you will hear sound both from the speakers and headphones. To fix that, just unplug and plug in the headphones again.
- Suspend and Hibernation doesn't work with gnome-power-utils, but they work with pm-utils.
- Fn keys currently don't work with radeonhd driver, but they work with fglrx
- Impossible to watch videos with xv output with radeonhd and fglrx
- SD card reader
- Express Card
Output of lscpi -nn
00:00.0 Host bridge : ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:7930] 00:01.0 PCI bridge : ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:7932] 00:05.0 PCI bridge : ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:7935] 00:06.0 PCI bridge : ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:7936] 00:07.0 PCI bridge : ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:7937] 00:12.0 SATA controller : ATI Technologies Inc SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA [1002:4380] 00:13.0 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI0) [1002:4387] 00:13.1 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI1) [1002:4388] 00:13.2 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI2) [1002:4389] 00:13.3 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI3) [1002:438a] 00:13.4 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB (OHCI4) [1002:438b] 00:13.5 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 USB Controller (EHCI) [1002:4386] 00:14.0 SMBus [0c05]: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller [1002:4385] (rev 14) 00:14.1 IDE interface : ATI Technologies Inc SB600 IDE [1002:438c] 00:14.2 Audio device : ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia [1002:4383] 00:14.3 ISA bridge : ATI Technologies Inc SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge [1002:438d] 00:14.4 PCI bridge : ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge [1002:4384] 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller : ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Xpress 1250 [1002:7942] 05:00.0 Ethernet controller : Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter [168c:001c] (rev 01) 0b:05.0 Ethernet controller : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ [10ec:8139] (rev 10