- Link..Check if the package sane supports your scanner. Sane provides a library, a commandline-tool, ... to use scanners under linux.
- Open a root-terminal.
- Install the package sane by typing "pacman -S sane".
Users that need to use a scanner should be part of the group scanner. You can change the additional groups of a user with the command usermod, for example:
"usermod -G additionalGroup1,additionalGroup2 username".
- Try to see if sane recognizes your scanner by typing \"scanimage -L\". If not, check if your scanner is plugged into the computer, ...
This section is only needed if your firmware needs to be uploaded to your scanner.
- You need to put the firmware-file for your scanner onto your harrdrive.
I suppose you need to extract the file from your Windows/Mac-install-cd for your scanner. If you use the windows-CD, you maybe need to get the file from an .exe-file. If the .exe-file is a zip, you can do \"unzip .exe-file\", but before you can do this, you need to have the package unzip installed. If this works, it can be that the firmware-file is inside a .cab-file/archive. To extract the contents from a .cab-archive, you need to have the package cabextract installed. You can use the program cabextract to extract the contents from a .cab-archive. If you don't have an install-CD, you may find the install-software on the website of the manufacturer of your scanner.
If you have found it, place it somewhere on your harddrive. I made a directory firmware in the /usr/share/sane-directory and placed it there. Be sure that memebers of the group scanner can access this file.
- If needed, (supported evices)] find the name of the backend that sane uses to give instructions to your scanner. Open the file <backend-name>.conf in the directory /etc/sane.d in a text-editor. Uncomment the firmware-entry and let the file-path point to where you put the firmware-file for your scanner. Be sure that members of the group scanner can access the <back-end>.conf-file.
Normally, everything should be ok know I think. (What about hotplug and firmware-upload?)