Difference between revisions of "Software access point"
m ("/etc/conf.d/bridge" changed to "/etc/conf.d/bridges")
|Line 42:||Line 42:|
in the /etc/conf.d/
in the /etc/conf.d/file, uncomment the lines (change eth1 to wlan0)
Revision as of 11:07, 2 January 2011
A software access point is used when you want your computer to act as an access point for the local wireless network. It saves you the trouble of getting a separate wireless router.
Things you needYou will need:
- prism2/2.5/3 pure pci wireless card or nl80211 compatible cards (e.g. ath9k)
- wireless-tools, hostapd and bridge-utils from pacman
Steps to implement
the config file of hostapd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf will help you to put your wireless device into master mode and willing to accept connection from other computers with encrypted password.
interface=wlan0 bridge=br0 driver=nl80211 logger_stdout=-1 logger_stdout_level=2 ssid=test hw_mode=g channel=6 auth_algs=3 max_num_sta=5 wpa=2 wpa_passphrase=tryyourbest wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP rsn_pairwise=CCMP
before hostapd does its job, eth0, wlan0 and br0 must be up and do not have any address. we can put the following lines in /etc/rc.conf
eth0="eth0 up" wlan0="wlan0 up" br0="br0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up" INTERFACES=(lo eth0 wlan0 br0)
in the /etc/conf.d/bridges file, uncomment the lines (change eth1 to wlan0)
bridge_br0="eth0 wlan0" BRIDGE_INTERFACES=(br0)
we are ready to go, just reboot the machine and use another computer to see if you can find the "test" wireless connection.
- untested* if your computer stops at the sign of "waiting for IP address" etc, that may be it can not find a dhcp server. so you need to set up one.
- UPDATE* The hostap-driver in pacman works, too. Thanks Xentac!
- ANOTHER UPDATE* Hostap-driver is in the 2.6.15 kernel. Also, DCHP requests are passed to the wired connection through wireless, so dhcpd is not needed for this.
- Update (2010-12-17) : updated packages requirement
- Update (2010-12-22) : updated config files for rc.conf, hostapd.conf and bridge.
- Update (2010-12-29) : added channel=6 in hostapd.conf