Please see this post on the ArchLinux forum for a repo you can add with more up to date and modified splashy packages.
- Grab the package in AUR and build it via makepkg (or whatever makepkg wrapper you like) and install via Pacman.
Attention! "initscripts-splash" is now a dependency of splashy. It replaces "initscripts", so some files in /etc will be backuped as *.pacsave.
Add quiet vga=791 splash to your kernel command line in /boot/grub/menu.lst. e.g.:
kernel (hd0,6)/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda6 ro quiet vga=791 splash
Add SPLASH="splashy" in /etc/rc.conf. e.g.:
- Remember to rebuild the initramfs image whenever Splashy's config changes. (e.g. Splashy theme was changed)
- Add splashy at the end of the HOOKS in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. e.g.:
HOOKS="base udev autodetect ide sata filesystems ... splashy"
- Rebuild kernel image
# mkinitcpio -p <kernel name>e.g.
# mkinitcpio -p kernel26
- Don't forget to rebuild the initramfs image after upgrading Splashy.
- Splashy doesn't terminate or automatically switch to verbose mode if an error occurs or when an init script fails.
- Something goes "terribly wrong" when a forced filesystem check commences while Splashy is running. For some unknown reason (yet), the system reboots itself after the fsck.
- X can show artefacts on the top of the screen, if splashy is activated during bootup.