List of applications/Multimedia
- 1 Multimedia
- 1.1 Codecs
- 1.2 Image
- 1.2.1 Image viewers
- 1.2.2 Image organizers
- 1.2.3 Image processing
- 1.2.4 Raster graphics editors
- 1.2.5 Photo editors
- 1.2.6 Vector graphics editors
- 1.2.7 Font editors
- 1.2.8 2D animation
- 1.2.9 3D computer graphics
- 1.2.10 Color pickers
- 1.2.11 Screenshot
- 1.2.12 Digital camera managers
- 1.3 Audio
- 1.3.1 Audio systems
- 1.3.2 Audio players
- 1.3.3 Audio tag editors
- 1.3.4 Lyrics
- 1.3.5 Audio converters
- 1.3.6 Audio editors
- 1.3.7 Digital audio workstations
- 1.3.8 Audio analyzers
- 1.3.9 Scorewriters
- 1.3.10 Audio synthesis environments
- 1.3.11 Sound generators
- 1.3.12 Music trackers
- 1.3.13 DJ
- 1.3.14 Audio effects
- 1.3.15 Audio visualizers
- 1.3.16 Volume control
- 1.3.17 CD ripping
- 1.4 Video
- 1.4.1 Video players
- 1.4.2 Video converters
- 1.4.3 Video editors
- 1.4.4 Subtitles
- 1.4.5 Subtitle editors
- 1.4.6 Screencast
- 1.4.7 Webcam
- 1.4.8 DVD authoring
- 1.4.9 DVD ripping
- 1.4.10 Video thumbnails
- 1.5 Collection managers
- 1.6 Media servers
- 1.7 Metadata
- 1.8 Mobile device managers
- 1.9 Optical disc burning
See the main article: Codecs.
See also Wikipedia:Comparison of image viewers.
Framebuffer image viewers
- fbi — Image viewer for the linux framebuffer console.
- fbv — Very simple graphic file viewer for the framebuffer console.
- fim — Highly customizable and scriptable framebuffer image viewer based on fbi.
- jfbview — Framebuffer PDF and image viewer based on Imlib2. Features include Vim-like controls, rotation and zoom, zoom-to-fit, and fast multi-threaded rendering.
Graphical image viewers
- Ephoto — A light image viewer based on EFL.
- Eye of GNOME — Image viewing and cataloging program, which is a part of the GNOME desktop environment.
- Eye of MATE — Simple graphics viewer for the MATE desktop.
- EyeSight — Image viewer for the Hawaii desktop environment.
- feh — Fast, lightweight image viewer that uses imlib2.
- GalaPix — OpenGL-based image viewer for simultaneously viewing and zooming large collections of image files,
- Geeqie — Image browser and viewer (fork of GQview) that adds additional functionality such as support for RAW files.
- GPicView — Simple and fast image viewer for X, which is part of the LXDE desktop.
- http://lxde.sourceforge.net/gpicview/ || GTK 2: , GTK 3:
- Gwenview — Fast and easy to use image viewer for the KDE desktop.
- ida — X11 application (Motif based) for viewing images.
- imv — Lightweight image viewer with support for Wayland and animated GIFs which uses FreeImage.
- LxImage-Qt — The LXQt image viewer.
- meh — meh is a small, simple, super fast image viewer using raw XLib.
- Mirage — PyGTK image viewer featuring support for crop and resize, custom actions and a thumbnail panel.
- nomacs — Qt image viewer. It is feature-rich but starts fast and can be configured to show additional widgets or only the image.
- Phototonic — Fast and functional image viewer and browser (Qt).
- PhotoQt — Fast and highly configurable image viewer with a simple and nice interface.
- https://photoqt.org/ || AUR
- pix — Image viewer and browser based on gthumb. X-Apps Project.
- pqiv — GTK 3 based command-line image viewer with a minimal UI supporting images in compressed archives, rewrite of qiv.
- qimgv — Fast and easy to use Qt5 image viewer. Supports webm/mp4 playback via mpv.
- Quick Image Viewer — Very small and fast image viewer based on GTK and imlib2.
- qView — Qt image viewer designed with minimalism and usability in mind.
- Ristretto — Fast and lightweight image viewer for the Xfce desktop environment.
- shufti — shufti non-destructively saves and restores the zoom level, rotation, window size, desktop location and viewing area on a per-image/file location basis
- sxiv — Simple image viewer based on imlib2 that works well with tiling window managers.
- Viewnior — Minimalistic GTK image viewer featuring support for flipping, rotating, animations and configurable mouse actions.
- Vimiv — An image viewer with vim-like keybindings. It is written in python3 using the Gtk3 toolkit.
- Xloadimage — Classic X image viewer.
See also Wikipedia:Image organizer.
- Deepin Image Viewer — Image viewer and organizer for Deepin desktop.
- digiKam — KDE-based image organizer with built-in editing features via a plugin architecture. digiKam asserts it is more full featured than similar applications with a larger set of image manipulation features including RAW image import and manipulation.
- Frogr — Small application for the GNOME desktop that allows users to manage their accounts in the Flickr image hosting website.
- GNOME Photos — Access, organize, and share your photos on GNOME.
- gThumb — Image viewer and browser for the GNOME desktop.
- KPhotoAlbum — Digital image cataloging software that supports annotation, browsing, searching and viewing of digital images and videos.
- Pantheon Photos — Photo organizer for Pantheon.
- Rapid Photo Downloader — Download photos and videos from cameras, memory cards and portable storage devices.
- Shotwell — A digital photo organizer designed for the GNOME desktop environment
- CairoSVG — SVG to PNG, PDF, PS converter.
- Converseen — Batch image converter and resizer.
- cropgui — Lossless JPEG crop without recompression
- dcraw — Converts many camera RAW formats.
- Fyre — Tool for producing computational artwork based on histograms of iterated chaotic functions.
- http://fyre.navi.cx/ || AUR
- G'MIC — Full-featured open-source framework for image processing, providing several different user interfaces to convert/manipulate/filter/visualize generic image datasets, ranging from 1d scalar signals to 3d+t sequences of multi-spectral volumetric images, including 2d color images.
- GraphicsMagick — Fork of ImageMagick designed to have API and command-line stability. It also supports multi-CPU for enhanced performance and thus is used by some large commercial sites (Flickr, etsy) for its performance.
- ImageMagick — Command-line image manipulation program. It is known for its accurate format conversions with support for over 100 formats. Its API enables it to be scripted and it is usually used as a backend processor.
- Guetzli — A perceptual JPEG encoder, aiming for excellent compression density at high visual quality.
- ImCompressor — Simple and lossless image compressor. (GUI for optipng)
- jpegoptim — JPEG optimization utility providing lossless and lossy compression.
- optipng — Lossless PNG compressor.
- zopflipng — Highly efficient PNG optimisation tool using Google's zopfli library
Raster graphics editors
- AzPainter — Painting software for illustration drawing.
- Deepin Draw — Lightweight drawing tool for Deepin desktop.
- Drawing — Drawing application for the GNOME desktop, using Cairo and GdkPixbuf for basic drawing operations.
- GIMP — Image editing suite in the vein of proprietary editors such as Adobe Photoshop. GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) has been started in the mid 1990s and has acquired a large number of plugins and additional tools.
- GrafX2 — Bitmap paint program specialized in 256 color drawing.
- KolourPaint — Free raster graphics editor for KDE, similar to Microsoft's Paint application before Windows 7, but with some additional features such as support for transparency. Part of and groups.
- Krita — Digital painting and illustration software included based on the KDE platform.
- Milton — Infinite-canvas paint program.
- https://www.miltonpaint.com/ || AUR, AUR
- mtPaint — Graphics editing program geared towards creating indexed palette images and pixel art.
- MyPaint — Free software graphics application for digital painters.
- PhotoFlare — Simple but powerful image editor originally inspired by PhotoFiltre.
- Pinta — Drawing and editing program modeled after Paint.NET. Its goal is to provide a simplified alternative to GIMP for casual users.
- XPaint — Color image editing tool which features most standard paint program options.
- darktable — Photography workflow and RAW development application.
- Hugin — Panorama photo stitcher.
- LightZone — Professional-level digital darkroom and photo editor comparable to Photoshop Lightroom.
- http://lightzoneproject.org/ || AUR
- Luminance HDR — Open source graphical user interface application that aims to provide a workflow for HDR imaging.
- nUFRaw — Utility to read and manipulate raw images from digital cameras using DCRaw.
- Oqapy — Photographic workflow application.
- https://oqapy.eu/ || AUR
- Rawstudio — Raw-image converter written in GTK.
- https://rawstudio.org/ || AUR
- RawTherapee — A powerful cross-platform raw image processing program.
Vector graphics editors
- Dia — GTK-based diagram creation program.
- draw.io desktop — Diagram drawing application built on web technology. Based on the Electron platform.
- https://about.draw.io/ || AUR
- Gravit Designer — Proprietary vector design application. Based on the Electron platform.
- https://designer.io/ || AUR
- Inkscape — Vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) file format. Inkscape supports many advanced SVG features (markers, clones, alpha blending, etc.) and great care is taken in designing a streamlined interface. It is very easy to edit nodes, perform complex path operations, trace bitmaps and much more. It's developers also aim to maintain a thriving user and developer community by using open, community-oriented development.
- Karbon — Vector graphics editor, part of the Calligra Suite.
- LibreOffice Draw — Vector graphics editor and diagramming tool included in the LibreOffice suite similar to Microsoft Visio.
- Mockingbot — Proprietary prototyping & collaboration design tool. Based on the Electron platform.
- https://mockingbot.com/ || AUR
- OpenOffice Draw — Vector graphics editor and diagramming tool included in the OpenOffice suite.
- http://pencil.evolus.vn/ || AUR
- sK1 — Replacement for Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw, oriented for "prepress ready" PostScript & PDF output.
- yEd — General-purpose proprietary diagramming program for flowcharts, network diagrams, UML diagrams, BPMN diagrams, mind maps, organization charts, and Entity Relationship diagrams.
- Xfig — Interactive drawing tool.
- http://mcj.sourceforge.net/ || AUR
See also Wikipedia:Comparison of font editors.
- Birdfont — Font editor which lets you create vector graphics and export TTF, EOT and SVG fonts.
- https://birdfont.org/ || AUR
- FontForge — Outline font editor.
- TruFont — Font-editing application.
- http://trufont.github.io/ || AUR
- OpenStopMotion — Capture program for creating stopmotion video clips.
- http://qstopmotion.org/ || AUR
- OpenToonz — 2D animation creation software.
- Pencil2D — Easy, intuitive tool to make 2D hand-drawn animations.
- https://www.pencil2d.org/ || AUR
- qStopMotion — Application for creating stop-motion animation movies. The users will be able to create stop-motions from pictures imported from a camera or from the harddrive and export the animation to different video formats such as mpeg or avi.
- http://qstopmotion.org/ || AUR
- Stopmotion — Application to create stop-motion animations. It helps you capture and edit the frames of your animation and export them as a single file.
- http://linuxstopmotion.org/ || AUR
- Synfig Studio — 2D animation software, designed as powerful industrial-strength solution for creating film-quality animation using a vector and bitmap artwork.
- https://www.synfig.org/ || AUR
- TupiTube Desk — Desktop application to create and share 2D animations, focused on kids and teenagers.
- https://www.maefloresta.com/ || AUR
3D computer graphics
- Art of Illusion — 3D modeling and rendering studio written in Java.
- Blender — Fully integrated 3D graphics creation suite capable of 3D modeling, texturing, and animation, among other things.
- Goxel — Open Source 3D voxel editor.
- LuxRender — Rendering system for physically correct, unbiased image synthesis.
- http://luxrender.net/ || AUR
- MakeHuman™ — Parametrical modeling program for creating human bodies.
- Sweet Home 3D — Interior design software application for the planning and development of floor plans
- POV-Ray — Script-based raytracer for creating 3D graphics.
- VoxelShop — Extremely intuitive and powerful software to modify and create voxel objects.
- Wings 3D — Advanced subdivision modeler that is both powerful and easy to use.
- Agave — Colorscheme designer tool for GNOME.
- Chameleon — Simple color picker for X11 which outputs colors to stdout.
- ColorGrab — Cross-platform color picker.
- Color Picker — Simplistic color picker for the Pantheon desktop.
- Deepin Picker — Color picker tool for Deepin desktop.
- delicolour — Lightweight GTK 3 color finder.
- gcolor2 — Simple GTK 2 color selector.
- Gcolor3 — Simple GTK 3 color selector.
- GPick — Advanced color picker tool.
- KColorChooser — Simple application to select the color from the screen or from a pallete. Part of .
- MATE Color Selection — Choose colors from the palette or the screen. Run with
- Pick — Simple color picker tool for the Linux desktop.
- xcolor — Lightweight color picker for X11.
Digital camera managers
- cmus — Very feature-rich ncurses-based music player.
- Cplay — Curses front-end for various audio players (ogg123, mpg123, mpg321, splay, madplay, and mikmod, xmp, and sox).
- Herrie — Minimalistic console-based music player with native AudioScrobbler support.
- MOC — Ncurses console audio player with support for the MP3, OGG, and WAV formats.
- MPFC — Gstreamer-based audio player with curses interface.
- mpg123 — Fast free MP3 console audio player for Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, HP-UX and nearly all other UNIX systems (also decodes MP1 and MP2 files).
- pianobar — Console-based frontend for the online radio Pandora.
- vitunes — Curses-based music player and playlist manager with vim-like keybindings.
- http://vitunes.org/ || AUR
- whistle — Curses-based commandline audio player.
- XMMS2 — Complete rewrite of the popular music player.
- http://banshee.fm/ || AUR
- Clementine — Amarok 1.4 clone, ported to Qt 4.
- Cozy — Modern audio book player for Linux using GTK 3.
- Exaile — GTK clone of Amarok.
- https://www.exaile.org/ || AUR
- GNOME Internet Radio Locator — Easily find live radio programs based on geographical location of radio broadcasters on the Internet.
- GNOME Music — Music is the new GNOME music playing application. It aims to combine an elegant and immersive browsing experience with simple and straightforward controls.
- Gradio — GTK 3 application for finding and listening to internet radio stations.
- Guayadeque — Full featured media player that can easily manage large collections and uses the GStreamer media framework.
- https://www.guayadeque.org/ || AUR
- Lollypop — A GNOME music player.
- Muine — A music player written in C Sharp.
- Pantheon Music — Simple, fast, and good looking music player. The official elementary music player.
- Parlatype — Minimal audio player for manual speech transcription, for GNOME. It plays audio sources to transcribe them in your favorite text application.
- Pithos — Python/GTK Pandora Radio desktop client.
- https://pithos.github.io/ || AUR
- Pragha — GTK music manager. (fork of the Consonance Music Manager)
- Quod Libet — Audio player written with PyGTK and GStreamer with support for regular expressions in playlists.
- Radiotray-NG — Internet radio player systray applet.
- Rhythmbox — GTK clone of iTunes, used by default in GNOME.
- Sayonara — Small, clear and fast audio player for Linux written in C++, uses the Qt framework.
- https://sayonara-player.com/ || AUR
- Strawberry — Fork of Clementine aimed at audio enthusiasts and music collectors.
- Amarok — Mature Qt-based player known for its plethora of features.
- https://amarok.kde.org/ || AUR
- JuK — JuK is an audio jukebox application, supporting collections of MP3, Ogg Vorbis, and FLAC audio files.
- Musique — Just another music player, only better.
- Tomahawk — Not actively developed anymore. Music player application written in C++/Qt. It decouples the name of the song from the source it was shared from - and fulfills the request using all of your available sources.
- Yarock — Modern looking music player, packed with features, that doesn’t depend on any specific desktop environment. Yarock is designed to provide an easy and pretty music browser based on cover art.
- Babe — Tiny Qt music player to keep your favorite songs at hand.
- Deepin Music — Awesome music player with brilliant and tweakful UI Deepin-UI based.
- Elisa — Simple music player by the KDE community aiming to provide a nice experience for its users.
- Aqualung — Advanced music player, which plays audio CDs, internet radio streams and podcasts as well as soundfiles in just about any audio format and has the feature of inserting no gaps between adjacent tracks.
- ArchSimian — Graphical Qt-based playlist creator that mines data from the user's MediaMonkey database.
- DeaDBeeF — Light and fast music player with many features, no GNOME or KDE dependencies, supports console-only, as well as a GTK GUI, comes with many plugins, and has a metadata editor.
- gmusicbrowser — Open-source jukebox for large collections of MP3/OGG/FLAC files.
- https://gmusicbrowser.org/ || AUR
- Goggles Music Manager — Music collection manager and player that automatically categorizes your music, supports gapless playback, features easy tag editing, and internet radio support. Uses the Fox toolkit.
- Google Play Music Desktop Player — Beautiful cross platform desktop player for Google Play Music. Based on the Electron platform.
- LXMusic — A minimalist xmms2-based music player.
- https://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXMusic || GTK 2: , GTK 3:
- museeks — Minimalistic and easy to use music player. Based on the Electron platform.
- https://museeks.io/ || AUR
- Noson — Fast and smart controller for SONOS devices.
- Nuclear — Modern music player focused on streaming from free sources. Based on the Electron platform.
- Nuvola Player — Integrated Google Music, 8tracks and Hype Machine player.
- Qmmp — Qt-based multimedia player with a user interface that is similar to Winamp or XMMS.
- SpotCommander — A remote control for Spotify, optimized for mobile devices. It works on any device with a modern browser, and it's free and open source.
- Spotify — Proprietary music streaming service. It supports local playback and streaming from Spotify's vast library (requires a free account).
- https://www.spotify.com/ || AUR
- Upplay — Qt-based UPnP audio control point.
Audio tag editors
- Beets — Music library organizer, tagger and more.
- Demlo — Batch music tagger, encoder, renamer and more.
- id3 — Command-line utility to edit ID3 1.x and 2.x tags.
- id3ted — Command line id3 tag editor.
- id3v2 — Command line editor for id3v2 tags.
- MP3Info — MP3 technical info viewer and ID3 1.x tag editor.
- MP3Unicode — Command line utility to convert ID3 tags in mp3 files between different encodings.
- Taffy — Simple command-line tag editor for many audio formats.
- Tagutil — CLI tool to edit music file's tag. It aims to provide both an easy-to-script interface and ease of use interactively.
- Audio Tag Tool — Tool to edit tags in MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files.
- Coquillo — Metadata editor for various audio formats.
- EasyTag — Utility for viewing, editing and writing ID3 tags of music files, supports many audio formats.
- Ex Falso — Cross-platform free and open source audio tag editor and library organizer. Run with
- Kid3 — MP3, Ogg/Vorbis, FLAC, MPC, MP4/AAC, MP2, Speex, TrueAudio, WavPack, WMA, WAV and AIFF files tag editor.
- https://kid3.sourceforge.io/ || KDE: , Qt:
- KTag Editor — ID3v tag editor developed in Qt5 framework. Supported files are mp3, wav, ogg, wma, flac, asf.
- MP3Info GUI — MP3 technical info viewer and ID3 1.x tag editor. The graphical interface can be launched with the
- Puddletag — Replacement for the famous MP3tag for Windows.
- http://docs.puddletag.net/ || AUR
- Qoobar — Universal Qt-based audio tagger (specialized for classical music).
- Tag Editor — A tag editor with Qt GUI and command-line interface supporting MP4/M4A/AAC (iTunes), ID3v1/ID3v2, Vorbis, Opus, FLAC and Matroska.
- Thunar Media Tags Plugin — Adds special features for media files to the Thunar File Manager, including the ability to edit tags.
- clyrics — Extensible lyrics fetcher, with daemon support for cmus and mocp.
- LyricsX — Lyrics editor.
- OSD Lyrics — Lyric show compatible with various media players.
- Ecasound — Command line tools designed for multitrack audio processing. It can be used for simple tasks like audio playback, recording and format conversions, as well as for multitrack effect processing, mixing, recording and signal recycling.
- free:ac — Audio converter and CD ripper with support for various popular formats and encoders.
- Gnac — Audio converter for GNOME.
- SoundConverter — A graphical application to convert audio files into different formats.
- soundKonverter — Qt-based GUI front-end to various audio converters.
- SoX — Command line utility that can convert various formats of computer audio files into other formats.
- XCFA — Tool to extract the content of audio CDs and convert files to various formats.
- Audacity — Program that lets you manipulate digital audio waveforms.
- Deepin Voice Recorder — Voice recorder application for Deepin desktop.
- GNOME Sound Recorder — The Sound Recorder application enables you to record and play .flac, .ogg (OGG audio, or .oga), and .wav sound files.
- Gnome Wave Cleaner — Digital audio editor to denoise, dehiss and amplify audio files.
- http://gwc.sourceforge.net/ || AUR
- Kwave — Sound editor for KDE.
- mhWaveEdit — Graphical program for editing, playing and recording sound files.
- Mp3splt — Utility to split mp3, ogg vorbis and native FLAC files selecting a begin and an end time position, without decoding.
- http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/ || CLI: , GUI:
- ocenaudio — Proprietary cross-platform, easy to use, fast and functional audio editor.
- https://www.ocenaudio.com/en/ || AUR or AUR
- Play it Slowly — Play back audio files at a different speed or pitch.
- https://29a.ch/playitslowly || AUR
- Sweep — Audio editor and live playback tool.
- WaveSurfer — Tool for sound visualization and manipulation. Typical applications are speech/sound analysis and sound annotation/transcription.
Digital audio workstations
See also Professional audio.
- Ardour — Multichannel hard disk recorder and digital audio workstation.
- Bitwig Studio — Proprietary professional digital audio workstation.
- https://www.bitwig.com/ || AUR
- Frinika — Digital audio workstation, features sequencer, soft-synths, realtime effects and audio recording.
- http://www.frinika.com/ || AUR
- LMMS — Digital audio workstation which allows you to produce music with your computer.
- MusE — MIDI/Audio sequencer (digital audio workstation) with recording and editing capabilities, aims to be a complete multitrack virtual studio for Linux.
- http://muse-sequencer.org/ || AUR
- Non — Modular digital audio workstation composed of four main parts: Timeline, Mixer, Sequencer and Session Manager.
- Qtractor — Qt-based hard disk recorder and digital audio workstation application that aims to provide digital audio workstation software simple enough for the average home user, and yet powerful enough for the professional user.
- REAPER — Proprietary digital audio workstation, offering a full multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing and mastering toolset.
- https://www.reaper.fm/ || AUR
- Rosegarden — Digital audio workstation program developed with ALSA and Qt that acts as an audio and MIDI sequencer, scorewriter and musical composition and editing tool.
- Tracktion — Proprietary digital audio workstation, specifically designed for the needs of modern music producers.
- https://www.tracktion.com/ || AUR
- Traverso — Multitrack audio recorder and editor with a very clean and intuitive interface which supports ALSA and Jack as the sound driver.
- https://traverso-daw.org/ || AUR
- audioprism — Spectrogram tool for PulseAudio input and WAV files.
- BRP-PACU — Dual channel FFT based acoustic analysis tool to help engineers analyze live professional sound systems using the transfer function.
- Baudline — Time-frequency and spectrogram analyzer
- FMIT — Graphical utility for tuning your musical instruments, with error and volume history and advanced features.
- Friture — Real-time audio analyzer.
- http://friture.org/ || AUR
- rtspeccy — Real time audio spectrum analyzer.
- sndpeek — Real-time audio visualization tool.
- https://soundlab.cs.princeton.edu/software/sndpeek/ || ALSA: AUR, JACK: AUR
- Sonic Visualiser — Viewing and analyzing the contents of music audio files.
- Spectrum3d — Displays a 3D audio spectrogram in real time from the microphone or an audio file.
- Spek — Helps to analyse your audio files by showing their spectrogram.
- http://spek.cc/ || AUR
- Aria Maestosa — MIDI sequencer/editor. It lets you compose, edit and play MIDI files with a few clicks in a user-friendly interface offering score, keyboard, guitar, drum and controller views.
- Canorus — Music score editor. It supports an unlimited number and length of staffs, polyphony, a MIDI playback of notes, chord markings, lyrics, import/export filters to formats like MIDI, MusicXML, ABC Music, MusiXTeX and LilyPond.
- GNU Denemo — Denemo is a free music notation program for GNU/Linux, Mac OSX and Windows that lets you rapidly enter notation which it typesets using the LilyPond music engraver. Music can be typed in at the PC-Keyboard (watch demo), or played in via MIDI controller (watch demo), or input acoustically into a microphone plugged into your computer's soundcard.
- http://www.denemo.org/ || AUR
- Impro-Visor — Music notation program designed to help jazz musicians compose and hear solos similar to ones that might be improvised.
- LilyPond — Music engraving program, devoted to producing the highest-quality sheet music possible.
- MuseScore — Create, playback, and print sheet music.
- TuxGuitar — Multitrack guitar tablature editor and player.
- http://tuxguitar.com.ar/ || AUR
Audio synthesis environments
- Blue — Music composition environment for Csound, written in Java.
- https://blue.kunstmusik.com/ || AUR
- Cabbage — Framework for audio software development using simple markup text and the Csound audio synthesis language.
- https://cabbageaudio.com/ || AUR
- ChucK — Strongly-timed, concurrent, and on-the-fly music programming language.
- Csound — Sound and music computing system.
- CsoundQt — Frontend for Csound featuring a highlighting editor with autocomplete, interactive widgets and integrated help.
- Pure Data — Real-time music and multimedia environment.
- SuperCollider — Platform for audio synthesis and algorithmic composition, used by musicians, artists, and researchers working with sound.
- ams — Alsa Modular Synth. Realtime modular synthesizer and effect processor.
- amsynth — Analog Modelling SYNTHesizer. Easy-to-use software synthesizer with a classic subtractive synthesizer topology.
- DIN — Sound synthesizer and musical instrument.
- Drumstick — Set of MIDI tools: drum grid, MIDI player, virtual piano.
- FluidSynth — Real-time software synthesizer based on the SoundFont 2 specifications.
- Gigedit — Graphical instrument editor for sample based virtual instruments, based on the GigaStudio/Gigasampler file format.
- Helm — Software synthesizer to create electronic music on your computer.
- Hydrogen — Advanced drum machine to create drum sequences.
- JSampler — Java GUI for LinuxSampler software audio sampler.
- PySynth — Suite of simple music synthesizers and helper scripts written in Python 3.
- QMidiArp — Advanced MIDI arpeggiator, programmable step sequencer and LFO.
- QMidiRoute — MIDI router and processor for ALSA.
- Qsampler — Qt GUI for LinuxSampler software audio sampler.
- Qsynth — Qt GUI for Fluidsynth.
- TiMidity++ — Software synthesizer, which can play MIDI files by converting them into PCM waveform data.
- Vee One Suite — Old-school software instruments: synthv1, a polyphonic subtractive synthesizer; samplv1, a polyphonic sampler synthesizer; drumkv1, yet another drum-kit sampler; padthv1, a polyphonic additive synthesizer.
- VMPK — Virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard. MIDI events generator and receiver. It doesn't produce any sound by itself, but can be used to drive a MIDI synthesizer.
- Yoshimi — Software synthesizer, a fork of ZynAddSubFX.
- ZynAddSubFX — Fully featured software synthesizer capable of making a countless number of instruments, from some common heard from expensive hardware to interesting sounds that you'll boost to an amazing universe of sounds.
- Buzztrax — Music studio to compose songs using only a computer with a soundcard.
- https://news.buzztrax.org/ || AUR
- klystrack — Tracker for making C64/NES/Amiga-style chiptunes on a modern platform.
- MilkyTracker — Music application for creating .MOD and .XM module files.
- OpenMPT — Tracker software to create and play back some great music on your computer.
- https://openmpt.org/ || AUR
- Radium — Music editor with a new type of interface.
- Schism Tracker — Create high quality music without the requirements of specialized, expensive equipment, and with a unique "finger feel" that is difficult to replicate in part.
- http://schismtracker.org/ || AUR
- Giada — Minimal, hardcore audio tool for DJs, live performers and electronic musicians.
- IDJC — Powerful yet easy to use source-client for individuals interested in streaming live radio shows over the Internet using Shoutcast or Icecast servers.
- http://idjc.sourceforge.net/ || AUR
- Luppp — Music creation tool, intended for live use. The focus is on real time processing and a fast and intuitive workflow.
- Mixxx — Integrates the tools DJs need to perform creative live mixes with digital music files.
- Seq24 — Minimal loop based MIDI sequencer for a live performance with a very simple interface for editing and playing MIDI 'loops'.
- http://filter24.org/seq24/ || AUR
- xwax — Digital Vinyl System (DVS) for Linux. It allows DJs and turntablists to playback digital audio files (MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC and more), controlled using a normal pair of turntables via timecoded vinyls.
- Calf Plugin Pack for JACK — Process and produce sounds using a set of plugins with JACK interface. (
- Carla — Audio plugin host, with support for many audio drivers and plugin formats.
- guitarix — Virtual guitar amplifier for JACK.
- Rakarrack — Richly featured multi-effects processor emulating a guitar effects pedalboard.
- C.A.V.A. — Console-based audio visualizer for ALSA, MPD and PulseAudio.
- Cavalcade — GTK GUI for C.A.V.A.
- cli-visualizer — Highly configurable CLI-based audio visualizer.
- GLava — OpenGL audio spectrum visualizer. Its primary use case is for desktop windows or backgrounds.
- GLMViz — Fully configurable OpenGL music visualizer.
- projectM — Music visualizer which uses 3D accelerated iterative image-based rendering.
- https://github.com/projectM-visualizer/projectm || JACK: [broken link: archived in aur-mirror], PulseAudio:
- VSXu — OpenGL-based (hardware-accelerated), modular programming environment with its main purpose to visualize music and create graphic effects in real-time.
- http://www.vsxu.com/ || AUR
See also PulseAudio#Front-ends.
- alsamixer — Soundcard mixer for ALSA soundcard driver, with ncurses interface.
- ALSA Tray — Provides a systray icon and a command line interface for setting the volume of the ALSA Mixers.
- AlsaVolume — Tray ALSA volume changer written using gtkmm.
- AMixST — Volume wheel using ALSA and Qt5.
- GNOME ALSA Mixer — ALSA mixer for GNOME.
- GVolWheel — Audio mixer which lets you control the volume through a tray icon.
- KMix — KDE volume control program.
- MATE Volume Control — Audio mixer application and system tray applet for MATE to mix audio and adjust volume levels of various audio mixer devices.
- PNMixer — A fork of Obmixer. It has many new features such as ALSA channel selection, connect/disconnect detection, shortcuts, etc.
- QasTools — Collection of desktop applications for the Linux sound system ALSA. It provides QasMixer (mixer), QasHctl (HCTL mixer) and QasConfig (configuration browser).
- Retrovol — Retro-looking volume setting tray applet.
- Volnoti — A lightweight volume notification daemon for GNU/Linux and other POSIX operating systems.
- Volti — A GTK application for controlling audio volume from system tray with an internal mixer and support for multimedia keys that uses only ALSA.
- Volume Icon — Another volume control for your system tray with channel selection, themes and an external mixer.
- VolWheel — A little application which lets you control the sound volume easily through a tray icon you can scroll on.
- Xfce ALSA Panel Plugin — Simple ALSA volume control plugin for Xfce4 panel.
- FFplay — Very simple and portable media player using the FFmpeg libraries and the SDL library.
- gst-play-1.0 — Simple command line playback testing tool for GStreamer.
- MPlayer — Video player that supports a complete and versatile array of video and audio formats.
- mpv — Movie player based on MPlayer and mplayer2.
- VLC media player — Command-line version of the famous video player that can play smoothly high definition videos in the TTY. The rc interface can be launched with
vlc -I rc, and the ncurses interface can be launched with
vlc -I ncurses.
- GNOME Twitch — Twitch client for GNOME using GStreamer.
- Movie Monad — Free and simple to use video player made with Haskell using GStreamer and GTK. Precompiled and no Haskell dependency in run-time.
- Pantheon Videos — Video player and library app designed for elementary OS using GStreamer.
- Parole — Modern media player based on the GStreamer framework.
- Rage — Video and audio player written with Enlightenment Foundation Libraries with some extra bells and whistles. Uses GStreamer
- Snappy — Powerful media player with a minimalistic interface that uses GStreamer.
- Spivak — Karaoke player based on GStreamer and Qt5.
- Xnoise — GTK and GStreamer-based media player for both audio and video with "a slick GUI, great speed and lots of features." (development ceased)
- Baka MPlayer — Free and open source, cross-platform, mpv based multimedia player (Qt 5).
- Celluloid — Simple GTK frontend for mpv, formerly GNOME MPV.
- Deepin Movie — Movie player for Deepin desktop based on mpv.
- Kawaii-Player — Audio/video manager and multimedia player (based on mpv) with PC-to-PC casting feature, along with functionalities of portable media server and torrent streaming server.
- KittehPlayer — A YouTube-like video player based on Qt, QML and mpv.
- https://github.com/NamedKitten/KittehPlayer[dead link 2019-10-26] || AUR[broken link: package not found]
- Media Player Classic Qute Theater — Clone of Media Player Classic reimplimented in Qt and based on mpv.
- https://gitlab.com/mpc-qt/mpc-qt || AUR, AUR
- mpv — Very basic GUI for mpv. Can be launched with
- SMPlayer — Qt multimedia player with extra features (CSS themes, YouTube integration, etc.) based on mpv. It can use MPlayer as alternative backend.
- xt7-player-mpv — Qt/Gambas GUI to mpv with a rich set of configurable options including filters and drivers, ladspa plugins support as well as library/playlist managment, YouTube, online radios, podcasts, DVB-T and more.
- GNOME MPlayer — Simple GTK-based GUI for MPlayer.
- KMPlayer — Simple KDE frontend for MPlayer and video player plugin for Konqueror. It can use Phonon as alternative backend.
- KPlayer — Multimedia player for KDE4 using MPlayer as a backend.
- Kaffeine — Very versatile KDE media player that, by default, utilizes VLC as its backend and has excellent support of digital TV (DVB-T, DVB-C, DVB-S).
- Kaku — Highly integrated music player supports different online platform like YouTube, SoundCloud, Vimeo and more. Based on the Electron platform.
- https://kaku.rocks/ || AUR
- Kodi — Media player and entertainment hub for digital media.
- Minitube — YouTube desktop application written in C++ using Phonon and Qt.
- QMPlay2 — Qt based video player. It can play and stream all formats supported by FFmpeg and libmodplug. It has on integrated module system, which includes a YouTube browser.
- QtAV Player — Simple media player based on QtAV and FFmpeg. Run with
- tvtime — High quality television application for use with video capture cards.
- VLC media player — Middleweight video player with support for a wide variety of audio and video formats.
- xine — Free multimedia player.
- Avidemux CLI — Free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks.
- FFmpeg — Complete, cross-platform solution to record, convert and stream audio and video.
- HandBrake CLI — Simple yet powerful video transcoder ideal for batch mkv/x264 ripping.
- MEncoder — Free command line video decoding, encoding and filtering tool.
- Transcode — Command line tool for video stream processing.
- Ciano — Simple multimedia file converter using FFmpeg and ImageMagick.
- Curlew — Easy to use multimedia converter written in Python and GTK3 and uses FFmpeg.
- FFmpegYAG — Advanced GUI for the popular FFmpeg audio/video encoding tool.
- FF Multi Converter — Simple graphical application which enables you to convert audio, video, image and document files between all popular formats, by utilizing other command-line tools.
- HandBrake — Simple yet powerful video transcoder ideal for batch mkv/x264 ripping. GTK version.
- QWinFF — Qt5 GUI for FFmpeg that can read audio and video files in various formats and convert them into other formats.
- http://qwinff.github.io/ || AUR
- traGtor — Convert all your audio and video files through FFmpeg without using a terminal.
- Transmageddon — Simple python application for transcoding video into formats supported by GStreamer.
- WinFF — Graphical video and audio batch converter using FFmpeg.
- Avidemux — Free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks.
- Blender — Fully integrated 3D graphics creation suite with a built-in non-linear video editor.
- Cinelerra (Community Version) — Professional video editing and compositing environment.
- DaVinci Resolve — Proprietary A/V post-production software suite.
- Flowblade — Multitrack non-linear video editor for Linux, designed to provide a fast, robust editing experience.
- Kdenlive — Non-linear video editor designed for basic to semi-professional work.
- Lightworks — Professional proprietary non-linear editing system for editing and mastering digital video in various formats.
- http://www.lwks.com/ || AUR
- LiVES — Video editor and VJ (live performance) platform.
- http://lives-video.com/ || AUR
- MKVToolNix — A set of CLI tools with a GUI to create, alter and inspect Matroska (MKV, MKA) files.
- Natron — Open-source compositing software. Node-graph based. Similar in functionalities to Adobe After Effects and Nuke by The Foundry.
- OpenShot — Non-linear video editor based on MLT framework.
- Pitivi — Video editor designed to be intuitive and integrate well in the GNOME desktop.
- Shotcut — Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor.
- VidCutter — Fast lossless media cutter + joiner w/ frame-accurate SmartCut options powered by mpv, FFmpeg via a sleek Qt5 GUI.
- Olive — Olive is a free non-linear video editor aiming to provide a fully-featured alternative to high-end professional video editing software.
- Penguin Subtitle Player — Standalone subtitle player that provides a translucent window which always stays on the top so subtitles can be shown on top of the video without blocking anything.
- subdl — Command-line tool for downloading subtitles from opensubtitles.org.
- SubDownloader — Automatic download/upload of subtitles using fast hashing.
- SubtitlesPrinter — Print subtitles above a X-screen, independently of the video player.
See also Wikipedia:Comparison of subtitle editors.
- Aegisub — Subtitle editor.
- Gaupol — Full-featured subtitle editor.
- Gnome Subtitles — Video subtitle editor for GNOME.
- Jubler — Open-source multiplatform subtitle editor written in Java.
- https://www.jubler.org/ || AUR
- Subtitle Composer — Subtitle editor with Qt 5 based GUI supporting various formats, features different player backends, able to display wave form.
- Subtitle Edit — Subtitle editing program. Written in C# using mono.
- Subtitle Editor — GTK 3 tool to edit subtitles for GNU/Linux/*BSD.
- Cheese — Take photos and videos with your webcam, with fun graphical effects.
- fswebcam — Small and simple command line webcam software that generates images for a webcam.
- Guvcview — Simple interface for capturing and viewing video from v4l2 devices.
- http://guvcview.sourceforge.net/ || GTK: , Qt:
- Kamoso — Webcam recorder from KDE community.
- MJPG-streamer — Command line application which can be used to stream M-JPEG over an IP-based network from a webcam to various types of viewers.
- Motion — Highly configurable program that monitors video signals from many types of cameras. It is able to detect if a significant part of the picture has changed; in other words, it can detect motion.
- Pantheon Camera — Camera app designed for elementary OS.
- QtCAM — Webcam software with more than 10 image control settings, extension settings and color space switching.
- v4l2ucp — Universal control panel for V4L2 devices.
- v4l-utils — Provides a series of utilities for media devices.
- Webcamoid — Full featured webcam suite.
- https://webcamoid.github.io/ || AUR
- ZArt — GUI for G'MIC real-time manipulations on the output of a webcam.
- Bombono DVD — DVD authoring program with nice and clean GUI.
- http://www.bombono.org/ || AUR
- Devede — Program to create VideoDVDs and CDs.
- DVDStyler — DVD authoring application for the creation of professional-looking DVDs.
- https://www.dvdstyler.org/ || AUR
- vcsi — Create video contact sheets. A video contact sheet is an image composed of video capture thumbnails arranged on a grid.
- Data Crow — Media cataloger and media organizer.
- http://datacrow.net/ || AUR
- FileBot — The ultimate tool for organizing and renaming your movies, tv shows or anime, and music well as downloading subtitles and artwork.
- GCstar — GNOME application for organizing various collections (board games, comic books, movies, stamps, etc.).
- http://www.gcstar.org/ || AUR
- Griffith — Movie collection manager application.
- MediaElch — Media manager for Kodi. Information about movies, TV shows, concerts and music are stored as nfo files.
- Tellico — KDE application for organizing various collections (books, video, music, coins, etc.).
- tinyMediaManager — Media management tool to provide metadata for Kodi.
- vMovieDB — Movie collection manager for the Gnome desktop.
- Airsonic — Web-based media streamer, providing ubiquitous access to your music. (Fork of Subsonic.)
- https://airsonic.github.io/ || AUR
- Emby — Proprietary media server, which automatically converts and streams your media on-the-fly to play on any device.
- forked-daapd — DAAP (iTunes) and MPD media server with support for AirPlay devices, Apple Remote, Chromecast, Spotify and internet radio.
- Gerbera — UPnP Media Server to stream your media to devices on your home network. (Fork of MediaTomb.)
- https://gerbera.io/ || AUR
- Icecast — Streaming media (audio/video) server which currently supports Ogg (Vorbis and Theora), Opus, WebM and MP3 streams.
- Jellyfin — Jellyfin is a Free Software Media System that puts you in control of managing and streaming your media.
- https://jellyfin.github.io/ || AUR
- Plex — Proprietary media server, which organizes your personal video, music, and photo collections and streams them to all of your devices.
- https://www.plex.tv/ || AUR
- ReadyMedia — Simple media server software, with the aim of being fully compliant with DLNA/UPnP-AV clients.
- Rygel — UPnP AV MediaServer and MediaRenderer that allows you to easily share audio, video and pictures, and control of media player on your home network.
- Serviio — Proprietary media server, which allows you to stream your media files (music, video or images) to renderer devices (e.g. a TV set, Bluray player, games console or mobile phone) on your connected home network.
- https://serviio.org/ || AUR
- Subsonic — Proprietary media server to stream from your own computer.
- http://www.subsonic.org/ || AUR
- Tvheadend — TV streaming server and recorder supporting DVB-S, DVB-S2, DVB-C, DVB-T, ATSC, ISDB-T, IPTV, SAT>IP and HDHomeRun as input sources.
- https://tvheadend.org/ || AUR
- Universal Media Server — UPnP media server, which is capable of sharing video, audio and images between most modern devices. (Fork of PS3 Media Server.)
- ExifTool — Command-line application for reading, writing and editing meta information in a wide variety of files.
- Exiv2 — Command line utility to manage image metadata. It provides fast and easy read and write access to the Exif, IPTC and XMP metadata and the ICC Profile embedded within digital images in various formats.
- ffprobe — Gather information from multimedia streams and print it in human- and machine-readable fashion.
- jhead — Exif jpeg header manipulation tool.
- MediaConch — Implementation checker, policy checker, reporter, and fixer.
- https://mediaarea.net/MediaConch || CLI: AUR, GUI: AUR
- MediaInfo — Convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files.
- https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo || CLI: , GUI:
- pyExifToolGUI — Graphical frontend for ExifTool, which reads and writes all kind of metadata tags from/to image files.
- sndfile-info — Obtaining information about the contents of an audio file.
Mobile device managers
- Android File Transfer — Interactive Media Transfer Protocol client with Qt5 GUI.
- gnokii — Tools and user space driver for use with mobile phones.
- gMTP — Simple MP3 and media player client for Media Transfer Protocol.
- GNOME Phone Manager — Control your mobile phone from your GNOME desktop.
- gtkpod — GUI for Apple's iPod using GTK. It allows you to import your existing iTunes database, add songs, podcasts, videos and cover art, and to edit ID3 tags.
- KDE Connect — Aims to communicate all your devices.
- Modem Manager GUI — Control EDGE/3G/4G broadband modem specific functions.
- Wammu — Manage data in your cell phone such as contacts, calendar or messages.