SpotCommander is a remote control for Spotify for Linux, optimized for mobile devices. It works on any device with a modern browser, and it's free and open source.
SpotCommander is the most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich and universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!
Option 1: Install from AUR
Option 2: Install manually
Install & configure required packages
- Install required packages:
$ pacman -S apache php php-apache php-sqlite qt4 inotify-tools xdotool wget
- DO NOT FORGET: Enable PHP as described in the LAMP article. Make sure you enable mod_mpm_prefork.
- Enable required PHP modules. In
/etc/php/php.ini, uncomment these:
extension=curl.so ... extension=pdo_sqlite.so ... extension=posix.so ... extension=sqlite3.so
- As root, create the file
<Directory "/srv/http/spotcommander"> AllowOverride All </Directory>
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, add to bottom:
- Restart Apache:
$ systemctl restart httpd.service
- Make Apache start when system boots:
$ systemctl enable httpd.service
- Go into the web server root directory:
$ cd /srv/http/
- Download the tar.bz2 file:
- Extract the tar.bz2 file:
$ tar -jxvf spotcommander-latest.tar.bz2
- Remove the tar.bz2 file:
$ rm spotcommander-latest.tar.bz2
- Go into the spotcommander folder:
$ cd spotcommander
- Set the correct permissions:
$ chmod 755 . && chmod 755 bin/* && chmod 777 cache/* && chmod -R 777 db/ && chmod 777 run/ && chmod 666 run/*
- Create symlink:
$ ln -fs $(pwd)/bin/spotcommander /usr/local/bin/spotcommander
- You must now start the daemon. Open up a desktop terminal (not SSH) as the desktop user running Spotify (not root), and run this command:
$ spotcommander start
By running it in the terminal the first time, you will be able to see if there are any errors.
- You should add the daemon to your startup applications. As root, create the file
[Desktop Entry] Type=Application Name=SpotCommander Exec=spotcommander start
- You should now be able to control Spotify by going to:
- To find your current IP address, run this command:
$ ip addr
- Android users should download the Android app, which can find your computer automatically
It is not necessary to configure anything, but in the config.php file there are some options you can change.