Simple steps to install and run Starcraft on an Arch Linux AMD64 system:
Install and config Wine:
- Install lib32-wine from AUR.
- Run winecfg
- On the drives tab, click Autodetect
- Click "Show Advanced"
- Select the drive letter representning your optical drive
- Change type to CD-ROM
- On the Audio tab, I had to click OSS Driver (instead of Alsa) and check "Driver Emulation"
- mount starcraft disc ($mount /media/dvd)
- cd /media/dvd
- wine install.exe (install as you normally would)
At this point the game should run fine. My starcraft disc installs an older version which only supports IPX networking. I downloaded the latest patch from blizzard and ran it using wine. It patched Starcraft to allow TCP networking, which worked flawlessly.