Simple steps to install and run StarCraft on Linux:
- Install and configure Wine
- Run winecfg
- On the drives tab, click Autodetect
- Click "Show Advanced"
- Select the drive letter representing your optical drive
- Change type to CD-ROM
- On the Audio tab, I had to click OSS Driver (instead of Alsa) and check "Driver Emulation"
- mount starcraft disc ($ mount /media/dvd)
- cd /media/dvd
- wine install.exe (install as you normally would)
At this point the game should run fine. My StarCraft disc installs an older version which only supports IPX networking. I downloaded the latest patch from blizzard and ran it using Wine. It patched StarCraft to allow TCP networking, which worked flawlessly.