StumpWM is a tiling, full-screen window manager written entirely in Common Lisp. The successor to the cult classic Ratpoison window manager ("GNU Screen to the power of X"), StumpWM adds all the flexibility and hackability of common lisp, allowing the user to make modifications to the source of the window manager even while it's running.
From the StumpWM homepage:
If you're tired of flipping through themes like channel-surfing, and going from one perfect-except-for-just-one-thing window manager to another even-more-broken-in-some-other-way then perhaps Stumpwm can help.
Stumpwm attempts to be customizable yet visually minimal. There are no window decorations, no icons, and no buttons. It does have various hooks to attach your personal customizations, and variables to tweak.
Want to see it in action? A StumpWM user created a video.
- Install SBCL
- pacman -S sbcl
- Install clx from AUR.
- If you really don't want to use a PKGBUILD here, you can also use asdf-install to install clx.
- Install cl-ppcre
- Again, this can be installed with asdf-install if you really don't like PKGBUILDs.
- Install git
- pacman -S git
- Install stumpwm from AUR.
- Alternately, you can check it out directly from the git repo., as described on the homepage. Read the directions and check the StumpWM wiki for compilation instructions.
Also, look at this post if you run into troubles.
- Use the clisp-new-clx PKGBUILD from AUR to install clisp.
- Install cl-ppcre-clisp from AUR.
- Install the clisp version of StumpWM from AUR.
As with SBCL, it's also possible to do everything the hard way. See the directions above.
Documentation and Support
If you installed StumpWM by hand or still have the source lying around, there's a TeXInfo manual.
See the wiki for a variety of useful tweaks for your .stumpwmrc.
If you're an emacs user, you'll find an emacs minor mode for editing StumpWM files (and interfacing with the program stumpish, but more on that below) in the contrib/ directory of the StumpWM source. If you're using clisp, this file can also be found in /usr/share/stumpwm/.
stumpish is the STUMP window manager Interactive SHell. It's a program that allows the user to interact with StumpWM while it's running, from the comfort of a terminal (or using the emacs mode). It can be found in the contrib/ directory of the StumpWM source. If you use clisp, this file can also be found in /usr/bin/.