Talk:Arch compared to other distributions
Gentoo build comparision
Discussion of comparing Gentoo's build system.
The build system for Gentoo is more global and offers its famous USE flags to configure system-wide packages, while Arch's ABS is designed to be a more simple system extension.
The build system for Gentoo is effective globally that offers compile options that effect a range of packages, while Arch's ABS is designed to be a more simple system extension.
Pointone, when you discuss grammatically correct, I figure you refer to this statement: 'The build system for Gentoo is effective globally'. Is this correct? Grammatically this sentence is fine so from here, I'm going to assume you mean 'comparatively' correct. Technically the statement itself isn't false, however if you are referring to 'comparatively', referring to it's component does have to be considered. more global comes across to me as a bit awkward to me, but it's context seems correct. Hmm.
I believe that its famous USE flags to configure system-wide needs amendment. The adjective famous doesn't seem required, and it's context of well-known (even in the Linux sphere) is probably debatable.
The build system for Gentoo is more global by offeing compile options that effect system-wide packages..., while Arch's ABS is designed to be a more simple system extension.
Gentoo offers other options in it's Template:Filename like specifying video cards, and other devices. There are other options too, but they are minor.
- Sorry for being unclear. The edit summary length tends to be restrictive... ;)
- My complaint was with regards to the use of the word "that" -- The build system is effective globally that offers compile options... is grammatically incorrect. Additionally, I think USE flags must be mentioned; they are arguably one of Gentoo's most useful features.
- Your second proposal is certainly better. Might I suggest:
- The build system for Gentoo is "global"; offering compile options that affect packages system-wide via USE flags. In comparison, the Arch Build System is targeted at building individual packages.
- -- pointone 20:38, 5 December 2009 (EST)