Perhaps this page should include how to do the famous
200 line kernel patch 4 line bash script?
ie. http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/alternative-to-200-lines-kernel-patch.html --Unhammer 08:09, 11 January 2011 (EST)
Help me understand cgroups
The matlab example given to me is a reason NOT to use cgroups. Why in the world would we want to limit a calculation intensive operation like this it 75 % of the CPU resources? Just nice matlab down to -19 and let it do its thing, I do this all the time with makepkg while I compile for hours. I can use the system and I do not experience any lags while makepkg is calling gcc using all my cores.
Out-of-date and missing information
This article is a bit outdated.
- Split the Cgroups#Ad-hoc groups section into different libcgroup/cgm sections
- Mention systemd-run and add other systemd service examples and references
- Mention difference between cgroups v1 and v2 (merged in Linux 4.5)
- Add specific examples for controlling memory for a new process (libcgroup / cgm / others?)
- Compare ulimit/setrlimit/limits.conf vs. nice vs. cgroups.