- 1 Page purpose
- 2 Change Install and configure to Install a bootloader
- 3 Grub2 configuration
- 4 need to load Grub again or not
- 5 Configure the bootloader
- 6 GRUB2 Installation
- 7 grub install failure
- 8 Link Elinks to wiki
- 9 Check MD5 with windoes
- 10 Please remove the edit lock.
- 11 The method to set locale
- 12 Mention the other config files
As Falconindy said:
- point of this page is to not become another Beginner's guide. It's meant to be a concise checklist of things to be done.
Change Install and configure to Install a bootloader
In step 6 should it read Install a bootloader instead of Install and configure? Configuration should be made once in chroot. At least that's the case with syslinux. The command /usr/sbin/syslinux-install_update -iam should be issued from within chroot to succeed. --Maevius (talk) 07:33, 17 July 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks for your contribution, but the point of this page is to not become another Beginner's guide. It's meant to be a concise checklist of things to be done. Falconindy (talk) 13:33, 17 July 2012 (UTC)
need to load Grub again or not
Just wanted to check, grub is loaded as part of base packages so there is no need to load it again. Simply install syslinux or configure grub. Mr Green 17 July 2012 (UTC)
Configure the bootloader
From the section Configure the bootloader in Configure the system: Shouldn't you edit the
syslinux.cfg to point to the right / (root) partition? Or why don't we just put a link to the corresponding section of the syslinux page there? Guelfi (talk) 09:18, 21 July 2012 (UTC)
- I'd rather get rid of the mentions of configuring separately. It's weird. Why isn't the installation section sufficient? Falconindy (talk) 12:05, 21 July 2012 (UTC)
- I have edited it as Guelfi Suggested. Here is an example showing that Guelfi is right. --Kaurin (talk) 01:52, 23 July 2012 (UTC)
I moved GRUB2 installation after chroot. Otherwise it doesn't work. grub-bios is in /mnt, so we need to tell grub-install about it. But arch iso has grub 0.97, and installation - 2.00, so iso's grub doesn't understand installation's files. --Shuk (talk) 11:42, 23 July 2012 (UTC)
grub install failure
This doesn't work for me.
It looks so similar to the Beginners' Guide as to be almost redundant, but the first subtle difference I came across meant (for me) that this procedure failed where the Beginners' Guide succeeded.
Under "GRUB" you have:
"Install GRUB2 to the harddrive containing your boot partition before you chroot."
# grub-install /dev/sda
doing so returns:
"Path /boot/grub is not readable by GRUB on boot. Installation is impossible. Aborting."
In the Beginners' Guide, this step takes place after chrooting, which (for me) works ok, (although the wording - "Install GRUB2 to the harddrive containing your boot partition before you chroot" - is the same, so I guess both wiki entries are at fault). --bananabrain
Just read that elinks is included on install iso, maybe add an alias/script to allow loading of wiki guide installation guide? --Mr Green
Check MD5 with windoes
Please remove the edit lock.
The method to set locale
The documentation sais to set the locale by:
- Set locale preferences in
Mention the other config files
The old installation guide said something about editing the other config files:
- Well I saw this: ][Beginners'_Guide#Configure_system}] so
/etc/rc.confisnot the official way to configure the system anymore...