MariaDB 10.0.12 and Akonadi
amish has posted some instructions on BBS concerning action that needs to be taken in order to get Akonadi and the new MariaDB (which is a major upgrade) working together. FYI.
- Thanks for this info. Those action is not needed after so many years. Close. -- Fengchao (talk) 08:44, 22 November 2019 (UTC)
I have found that when using applications like clementine that uses inotify setting it to 10 000 does not help, it needs to be set to 1048576 when the library is 100 000+. This is the only part in the wiki that mentions this value. So I think we need to add a mention here for large collections or have a page that explains inotify a little more. Tazmain (talk) 00:19, 14 December 2016 (UTC)
KDE Connect and sshfs
Out of the box KDE connect did not allow me to browse files on my Android Device. Installing SSHFS fixed this. Is this an issue other users experience? If so we can add to the wiki. —This unsigned comment is by Lukyjay (talk) 02:37, 26 December 2016. Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
- sshfs is already an optional dependency for the kdeconnect package required to use that feature. Kyleh (talk) 13:38, 14 January 2017 (UTC)
Screen tearing in nvidia tip
The suggested method have a big impact on many games. It's better to first try enabling the triple buffer, as suggested here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#Avoid_screen_tearing
Maybe it would be a good thing to remove the USLEEP suggestion and link to that page instead.
- Agreed on the linking part. However, "enabling" triple buffering is not better, see the discussion page of the linked article.
- Aufkrawall (talk) 12:06, 17 October 2017 (UTC)
- I found a better solution for USLEEP which is also Plasma/KWin specific.
- Aufkrawall (talk) 15:15, 25 October 2017 (UTC)
- I tried this new tip, as a startup script, but I had some issues. The windows of the applications loaded from the previous session pops out of the splash screen. I suppose that happens when kwin is restarted. Furthermore, my desktop appears completely black and without icons. I need to kill and restart plasmashell to restore it. In my personal experience I found the full composition pipeline + triple buffer trick a better solution for the tearing issue and with a imperceptible impact on performances (i7 4790 and nvidia GTX 1060 here).
- Masque (talk) 17:43, 26 October 2017 (UTC)
- Have you tried delaying the scrip by a few seconds via sleep? I did a dozen restarts or so without issues. However, I'm not restoring previous sessions.
- Aufkrawall (talk) 10:17, 27 October 2017 (UTC)
- Adding a 5 seconds sleep in the script solves the issues. Strangeley, I found that with this and even without any trick to fix tearing in kwin, the unity engine game I used to test (Tacoma) have some stutter in the more complex scenes. It looks like the other tip (full pl + triple buffer) somehow improves the smoothness, as opposed to what I had read. I can't explain that.
- Masque (talk) 22:44, 27 October 2017 (UTC)
Hi everyone! KDE#Clean akonadi configuration to fix KMail part is not really actual, because there's no Private section (with resource management) in System Settings of Plasma 5 and instructions are not completed. On the other hand, there's a finished article with actual information on KDE Docs website. So maybe we just to put it's link instead of the text we have now?
Magic Trick (~/.compose-cache) - does it still work?
It seems information of
~/.compose-cache has been lost?
After a bit of testing, it still seems to work just fine:
ls -lh ~/.compose-cache
-rw------- 1 archie archie 29K 5 mrt 19:27 l4_030_20fca6bc_0e7768ba -rw------- 1 archie archie 418K 5 mrt 17:23 l4_030_313cb605_00280cc0
- Is there any upstream link for this trick? We need to show user this low level trick is actually useful. -- Fengchao (talk) 08:42, 22 November 2019 (UTC)
- No upstream link, but I'm using the following as reference:
- Francoism (talk) 13:22, 25 April 2020 (UTC)