Difference between revisions of "Talk:LaTeX"
m (moved Talk:LaTeX (English) to Talk:LaTeX over redirect: English titles should not include a language tag -- please re-read Help:i18n)
Revision as of 04:09, 21 October 2010
It seems to me that TeXLive should be under the LaTeX heading instead. New users will probably search for the "LaTeX" heading first. Also, LaTeX is more general, and can emcompass GUI applications, etc. --Arcanazar 13:32, 7 July 2009 (EDT)
Reply: No. TeXLive provides MUCH MUCH more than just LaTeX! Ever heard of Plain TeX, ConTeXt, metapost, xindy, bibtex, etc? :) --firmicus 03:04, 16 September 2009 (EDT)
Re: TeXLive is much more than LaTeX. Of course I've heard of everything you've mentioned; I'm at a university where these are used all the time. Often, they are referred to as just LaTeX, or LaTeX suite. This may be technically incorrect, but it was the common parlance at my institution. Perhaps it would be best to redirect the LaTeX page to the TeXLive page. --Arcanazar 11:20, 16 September 2009 (EDT)
What if we had an article for *TeX in general, and have keywords such as LaTeX, ConTeXt, bibTeX, &c. redirect to that page? We could include sections explaining what TeX is and giving some background information to explain all of these different programs (in simple terms so a new user could pick it up quickly). The *TeX article could tell how to install TeXLive, how to use it, some recommended methods of editing .tex files (Vim, emacs + AUCTeX, Kile, &c.), and other information. What do you think? --Allamgir 10:05, 2 October 2009 (EDT)
- Right now there exists: a stub article on LaTex, an article on TexLive, as well as a category TexLive (English) and a Howto: TeXLive and CJK.
- I propose the creation of a category "TeX (English)" which contains everything TeX-related. This category would be a sub-category of "Office (English)" and all the TeX-related things linked there are moved to the TeX (English).
- All article and categories in english get "Pagename (English)"
- We may make crosslinking field in each of the major TeX articles (LaTeX (English), BibTeX (English) etc.) making it easier to navigate between the topics.
--duerrer 12:45, 8 November 2009 (CET)
- I second this proposal. -- pointone 18:24, 26 January 2010 (EST)
- I third this proposal as someone who a new user. This would be a great idea. --MasonD 05:08, 7 May 2010 (EDT)