This article needs a lot of help. I am in the process of fleshing it out, but will probably need help when finished, since I'm not very knowledgeable about vpn.Jhernberg 22:20, 25 December 2011 (EST)
There are some things that I think would have been extremely helpful to add in this article, primarily relating to iptables. For example, in Routing_the_LAN_of_a_client_to_the_server it might have been useful to say, "do something like iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j SNAT --to 10.4.4.30" rather than "Use the iptables NAT feature to masquerade the IP packets."
I think more handholding would help this article a lot--it certainly would have helped me figure this out much faster. If no one disagrees, I'd like to add several sections on appropriate iptables rules to add. Buhman 17:11, 9 April 2012 (EDT)
- No objections, all constructive contributions are welcome, just remember that an article shouldn't be just a list of instructions: "handholding" is fine as long as it also explains why something needs to be done, so in your example above the existent sentence should be kept and your iptables line should be presented just as an example. -- Kynikos 08:46, 10 April 2012 (EDT)
- To be honest, I think this article, the way it is now, uses way too much handholding. (I liked it more the way it was  ). It have things like: "Edit /root/easy-rsa/vars and at a minimum set the KEY_COUNTRY, KEY_PROVINCE, KEY_CITY, KEY_ORG, and KEY_EMAIL parameters (do not leave any of these parameters blank)", instead of just "Edit /root/easy-rsa/vars according to your preferences"
- Maybe the solution could be the path Beginners' Guide and Installation Guide took; One, super handholding-type guide, and the other as a checklist-type guide... hmm, maybe I'll write such article Chrisl (talk) 18:48, 16 August 2012 (UTC)
- I have some time to work on this again (vacation), hopefully I'll get at least some more stuff done. If someone wants to add iptables instructions please go ahead. There is some preliminary stuff that Kynikos uncovered :) Too much, too little handholding, it's hard too say, and it looks like opinions differ. Maybe let me be verbose and then try to tighten it up and remove unwanted verbosity? jhernberg 21:50, 16 August 2012 (UTC)
In any case, the article still needs a lot more information about the various ways that openvpn can be configured, and any help would be very much appreciated...:) jhernberg 21:55, 16 August 2012 (UTC)
- OpenVPN has lots of good document here. It is better give some entry point and link to the upstream document instead of duplicate info here.