This needs to be updated for split packages. Daenyth 22:55, 4 December 2009 (EST)
Variables/noextract about zip?
Isn't this information outdated? It seems bsdtar can now perfectly handle zip-files.
--Paolo 11:03, 8 September 2010 (EDT)
Installing the package
It might be helpful for beginners to know how to install the package after building it. Maybe it should be explicity mentioned that one can install it with sudo pacman -U yourpackage.pkg.tar.??
where ?? can be xz, gz or something else.
Slopjong 12:00, June 9th 2010 (CET)
- 1. It's a package - you install it as any other package. The introduction clearly states that The resulting package contains binary files and installation instructions; readily installed with pacman. and a link to the pacman article.
- 2. pacman can install uncompressed .pkg.tar archives too.
- 3. 'makepkg -i' will install the compiled package.
- -- Karol 06:52, 9 June 2011 (EDT)
One of the two links is redundant, is the same mentioned here Tip: A prototype .install is provided at /usr/share/pacman/proto.install. the second one should be added to proto installed by pacman package.
check / checkdepends
the default PKGBUILD in /usr/share/pacman now contains a check function and a checkdepends array. Some explanation would be nice. --Oal 15:41, 26 July 2011 (EDT)
There is an epoch variable in the PKGBUILD.proto and an explanation here in the wiki, but for me at least the explanation doesn't cut it, I'd have no idea how to use it. I'm not sure that something that seems to be only meant for very special cases should be in the proto (which is meant for new packages, as I see it). hollunder 12:20, 11 September 2011 (EDT)
Please add some info about PKGEXT variable, eg. for disable compression
Compression is IMO useless for game's package and almost nobody from aur is using this variable... And they are looking usually for info in archwiki ;)
makedepends should not include base?
There is a warning not to include base-devel packages in makedepends, but should it also be said not to include base pacakges in makedepends (or even in depends)?
- This is not the proper place for discussing the guidelines for PKGBUILDs, please post in the forums or the mailing lists. -- Kynikos (talk) 12:28, 11 July 2012 (UTC)
I never had trouble with pre-/postfixed application names so the note doesn't apply to this case. Does it? Slopjong 03:19, 11 July 2012 (CEST)
- I think the note leaves the decision up to the maintainer, and it seems reasonable to me. If you're intentioned to discuss the guidelines for PKGBUILDs, this is not the right place, please post in the forums or the mailing lists. -- Kynikos (talk) 12:28, 11 July 2012 (UTC)
Declare more mirrors for a file
- Forum thread created…: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=153535
- --Grufo [ contribs | talk ] 01:35, 24 November 2012 (UTC)
List of Mandatory Variables
Which of these variables are mandatory? Probably pkgname, for instance, but a nice list of the mandatory options would be, well, nice.