Talk:Samba/Active Directory domain controller
Merge with main Samba article?
Would it be worth trying to shoehorn this into the main Samba article? I personally like that it is separate. I might, however, be biased. :-) Anyway, with trying to keep things clean with little fragmentation, I think the existing Samba server section could be made one layer deeper and label it "Standalone server" and drop this one in almost verbatim (scrub the introductory text and increase the '=' surrounding headings by one) in its own server subsection. Thoughts? DJ L (talk) 05:55, 13 April 2016 (UTC)
- I agree with you, AD controller is a specific usecase. Most users will only use the fileserver/client aspects. For example, if this article gets troubleshooting items, they would mix with the main Samba#Troubleshooting section, which would be not ideal. Instead one could move it to a subpage of the Samba article (Samba/Active domain controller). This would also enable to drop the intro and reference the article with a one sentence section in Samba. --Indigo (talk) 12:37, 13 April 2016 (UTC)
- Thanks for feedback. I've put a move template now with . This is the first step to propose a move. Now let's wait a bit first, if anyone has objections. A week max should be enough for this article, because it is not a major move out of the current context and you are the author basically. I don't think there will be objections in this case, but we want this waiting period first - you never know.
- Then the move for a full article like this is very easy:
- You use the "move" button top of the interface, next to "history". For this article: 
- Have a read at the instructions that link gives. Then to perform the move:
- Leave the default tickboxes, insert the new title for the main namespace:
- "Samba/Active Directory domain controller" (like that but without quotes, be careful not to mistype ..otherwise it gets messy to clean up) and a meaningful reason, e.g.
- "consolidate content for Samba, re Talk:Samba 4 Active Directory domain controller#Merge with main Samba article?".
- and click "Move article", that's it. After the move it is important to follow up on the links as explained in the instructions.
- I watch this article. So, I'll see when you perform the move, or do it myself sometime after the week passed in case you don't follow-up.
- --Indigo (talk) 10:34, 4 May 2016 (UTC)