Static IP example for single host
(moved from Talk:Network_configuration#Systemd-networkd)
Now that networkd is maturing and much simpler to configure for VMs, containers, etc should we include a section with an example? —This unsigned comment is by Chetwisniewski (talk) 21:42, 1 January 2015. Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
- There is a whole page on systemd-networkd already, and it is linked from Network_configuration#Configure_the_IP_address. -- Lahwaacz (talk) 21:52, 1 January 2015 (UTC)
- It doesn't include any decent static examples. Perhaps I should post these points to that page? Something with example config, like:
[Match] Name=enp3s0 [Network] DNS=fe80:a3c1::1 DNS=192.168.0.1 Address=192.168.0.10/24 Address=2001:DB8::1/64 Gateway=192.168.0.1
- Re-opening. That would make sense imo. But we need to take care not to break the existing Systemd-networkd#Static IP network instructions. Maybe it is just necessary to clarify which steps are required to set up static for a single host before leading over to the bridge/container setup (analoguous to the first example in Systemd-networkd#Basic DHCP network). Ok?--Indigo (talk) 23:57, 1 January 2015 (UTC)
- Comparing your example config again to what we have, the only major difference is the IPv6 which is not covered in this article yet. Still the basic instructions for a single host could be made clearer in this article. --Indigo (talk) 18:11, 9 February 2015 (UTC)
standalone vs containers
Yes, I agree with the discussion and the style warning on the main page: we should break this out into two parts to make it clear which are for standalone systems and which are for containers which are likely foreign to some users. Graysky (talk) 12:06, 27 March 2015 (UTC)
- There, I made a pretty major edit to the main article in an attempt to break out "basic" from "complex" usage cases. I don't have inclination or knowledge to comb through the original article targeted mainly at container usage. Graysky (talk) 19:49, 27 March 2015 (UTC)
- Neat edit that was! Good to have the basic examples on top. As for moving the container section to a subpage, sure why not. Yet, I would vote for keeping Systemd-networkd#Configuration files on the main page (to see how it works I moved it like it is now). It would be a strange article ending with a section like that though.? The container section uses some configuration files content as practical examples on the other hand. --Indigo (talk) 20:39, 27 March 2015 (UTC)
Usage with containers -- Static IP network
Not having worked with systemd-networkd before (moving over from the custom systemd script method) this section looks like it has a typo, an omission, or a missing explanation. The list of configuration files uses a .netdev extension on MyBridge, and the example uses a .network extension on MyBridge.
Again, being new to systemd-networkd, I think there is supposed to be both a MyBridge.netdev file with "[NetDev] Name=br0 Kind=bridge" and a MyBridge.bridge file with "[Match] Name=br0 [Network] DNS= Address= Gateway=". Or, maybe I'm using more files than I needed and just one of the extensions needs to be changed. Or maybe I'm totally off, and a clarification would prevent someone else from making the same mistake. Jamespharvey20 (talk) 06:44, 20 July 2015 (UTC)