vsock compile error. Troubleshoote: VMware Workstation 7.1 to cooperate with Linux kernel 2.6.35 Please fix page [sorry, my english very poor for it]
In the most recent versions of vmware player, there are other names for the executable. This article refers to it as `vmware`, but the newest version uses `vmplayer` and a previous (but recent) version was longer and used `vmware-player`. Monokrome 07:12, 19 March 2011 (EDT)
as posted in the archlinux forum, this script should fix vmware kernel modules for linux kernel 2.6.36 + vmware workstation 7.1.x .. I continue an issue though => 'Virtual ethernet' module fails to load so I am still looking for a solution there
Starting VMware services: VMware USB Arbitrator done Virtual machine monitor done Virtual machine communication interface done VM communication interface socket family done Blocking file system done Virtual ethernet failed Unable to start services
--Fnord0 19:14, 27 November 2010 (EST)
- ahh, correction - things are working great now. the fix was to uninstall/reinstall VMware workstation, then run the script, which I did as follows ::
# vmware-installer --uninstall-component=vmware-workstation # wget http://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/1650169-45603/vmmon_fix_2.6.36.sh # sh ./vmmon_fix_2.6.36.sh
--Fnord0 17:40, 16 December 2010 (EST)
- I had this same issue after initially installing vmware player, and found that it was easy to fix. I just had to stop and start the service again. I think that reinstalling might have been unneccessary. Although, I did get an error when I stopped the server - they were gone when I started it again. Something was probably already running after the installer - which might have been causing the issue.
# /etc/rc.d/vmware stop # Errors may occur after this step.
# /etc/rc.d/vmware start
Monokrome 07:15, 19 March 2011 (EDT)
vmware workstation 7.1.3-x + archlinux kernel 2.6.37 using vmware-7.1.3-2.6.37-9-generic.patch and patch-modules_v62.sh which are both located at this forum post. I just had to change one line in the file patch-modules_v62.sh ::
changed this original line
copy both files to /tmp then run the following ::
chmod +x patch-modules_v62.sh sudo ./patch-modules_v62.sh
works for me! --Fnord0 06:57, 31 January 2011 (EST)
Linux kernel 2.6.37
I created a aur package called vmware-patch in order to handle several things:
- Fix the lsmod issue when installing vmware-player by creating a softlink
- Creates /etc/rc.d/vmware. /etc/rc.d/vmware is almost a standard archlinux rc.d script which call /etc/rc.d/vmware.d/init.d/vmware
- Add all necessary patch to compile kernel 2.6.35, 2.6.36 and 2.6.37.
- Add the scripts vmware-patch and vmware-unpatch to apply the necesarry patches
You are welcome to review the scripts or the patches. You can browse it directly from the aur: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=45952
You can also directly grab the patches if you don't want to use my ugly scripts :)
By the way the sources of the scripts and the patches are random, sometime from vmware community, sometimes from gentoo, sometimes from ubuntu. Maybe I should better use directly the vmware-7.1.3-2.6.37-9-generic.patch patches...