Anybody, any experience with how to use existing vmware virtual machine in virtualbox? I tried, but without success. I'll retry using: http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/11/23/howto-transform-a-qemu-image-to-a-virtualbox-image/ and post my findings.
It would be nice if someone explained why you might need to add your user to
vboxusers group. I did not add my user to this group and everything worked as expected. --Bhobbit 19:11, 12 April 2010 (EDT)
Page overhaul by dev request
Just bringing attention to this thread from the mailing list.
The page would be linked from the official package and should look something like:
- how to install it
- what modules to add in rc.conf and a short description of modules functionality
- how to run it
- how to run guest additions on arch(as a section rather than a new page like is it now)
On the last item, Arch Linux VirtualBox Guest would be merged in.
According to dev: "What i want is to have a page describing how to run virtualbox on archlinux, as a host and as a guest(for additions)
A short descriptions of our packages at the beginning, what to install when running as host and as a guest.
Install 1,2,3 to run as host add x,y,z modules to rc.conf(descriptions for modules), 4 if you run a custom kernel(run vboxbuild to compile modules), 5 nobody cares, 6,7 in a guest arch linux system, a,b,c modules in rc.conf (see the above link for additions that i pasted)"
--Emiralle 22:45, 26 October 2011 (EDT)
- I decided to be bold and implemented some of these changes.
- Arch Linux VirtualBox Guest could now be redirected to VirtualBox#Arch Linux guests.
- There is now a VirtualBox Extras page for odds and ends.
- I'm not sure I got the right content in the right places, but now it should be easier to shuffle things into place. --Emiralle 00:25, 28 October 2011 (EDT)
--BlackEagle 2011-10-28 21:10 (CEST)
- I moved the vboxbuild stuff a little down, since this will no longer be required from 4.1.4-3 and up
Module building is now obselete isn't it?
Should we remove the section for the module building process? Is it obselete?
- Please sign edits in discussion pages with
- Yes, /usr/bin/vboxbuild doesn't even exist any longer, the article needs some little adaptations to the latest release. Also pm-utils mentions vboxbuild.
- -- Kynikos 08:07, 14 November 2011 (EST)
So, which is the new command for modules rebuild? --Maevius 05:34, 11 December 2011 (EST)
- There's no longer need for rebuilding the modules manually, they come with the Kynikos 15:50, 15 December 2011 (EST) package, whose current release, 4.1.6-3, depends on 3.1<= <3.2. --
In section "Synchronise guest date with host" it should be noted that starting vbox-service is also required for the auto mounting feature to work. For example, creating a Shared Folder with the options Make Permanent and Auto-Mount selected will NOT auto mount in /media/sf_<SHARE_NAME> if vbox-service has not been started. --sjroe 19:13, 30 December 2011 (EST)