Anybody, any experience with how to use existing vmware virtual machine in virtualbox? I tried, but without success. I'll retry using: http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/11/23/howto-transform-a-qemu-image-to-a-virtualbox-image/ and post my findings.
Removal of VBoxClient-all
Why is there no mention of /usr/bin/VBoxClient-all script? It is imporant for getting the final touches for an archlinux guest to work correctly.
It would be nice if someone explained why you might need to add your user to
vboxusers group. I did not add my user to this group and everything worked as expected. --Bhobbit 19:11, 12 April 2010 (EDT)
Module building is now obselete isn't it?
Should we remove the section for the module building process? Is it obselete?
- Please sign edits in discussion pages with
- Yes, /usr/bin/vboxbuild doesn't even exist any longer, the article needs some little adaptations to the latest release. Also pm-utils mentions vboxbuild.
- -- Kynikos 08:07, 14 November 2011 (EST)
So, which is the new command for modules rebuild? --Maevius 05:34, 11 December 2011 (EST)
- There's no longer need for rebuilding the modules manually, they come with the Kynikos 15:50, 15 December 2011 (EST) package, whose current release, 4.1.6-3, depends on 3.1<= <3.2. --
In section "Synchronise guest date with host" it should be noted that starting vbox-service is also required for the auto mounting feature to work. For example, creating a Shared Folder with the options Make Permanent and Auto-Mount selected will NOT auto mount in /media/sf_<SHARE_NAME> if vbox-service has not been started. --sjroe 19:13, 30 December 2011 (EST)
New change Heads up
Some changes will be introduced in the next package release of virtualbox.
- vboxbuild will be dropped in favor of upstream provided dkms config.(FS#30692) (FS#30749) (FS#28792)
You will be able to build your virtualbox modules by running $ dkms install vboxhost/4.1.18 or you can let dkms rc script compile/install/load your modules with $ rc.d start dkms vboxweb and vboxservice gain systemd service files (FS#30725)
- vbox-service will be renamed into vboxservice and config file is now backuped. (FS#30692)
- virtualbox-archlinux-additions add a new group named vboxsf (FS#30725)
- a new package (virtualbox-archlinux-source) will allow compilation (via dkms) of virtualbox guest kernel modules.