Talk:Wireless network configuration
It would be good to place a further example for encrypting.
# /etc/conf.d/wireless wlan_wlan0="wlan0 essid MyEssid" #wlan_wlan0="wlan0 essid MyEssid key 625341627" #wlan_wlan0="wlan0 essid MyEssid key s:masterpassword"
If you have eth0 as wireless card, you replace wlan0 with eth0
wlan_et0="eth0 essid MyEssid key s:masterpassword""
-- 188.8.131.52, 27 December 2005
Mention modprobe -l
Does anybody else besides me think that it would be helpful to mention modprobe -l to get a list of loaded modules/drivers and that ath9k is already included in the kernel at the beginning of First steps or Drivers and Firmware section? In my case (I have a Thinkpad x61) I didn't have to install any additional drivers, so I could proceed immediately to Manual setup and everything worked perfectly.
--Bhobbit 01:03, 7 June 2009 (EDT)
Overall article readability (notes and split)
There is no doubt this article is very rich, but I find it a bit messy overall. At first sight, the newcomer may think managing wireless is a real odyssey, whereas it may be 2 simple steps for most users.
- More than 50% of the article is dedicated to specific drivers installation. Perhaps it would be worth moving the whole section to a dedicated page, leaving only generic install guidelines here.
- I've found 21 Note templates. Too much imho, it makes different sections and code lines harder to distinguish, and thus diminishes article's overall readability. Some of them definitely do not deserve a template, they should be written as is.
Still I won't say there is no doubt these 2 changes would make the article really better. So feel free to discuss!
Auto-connect if dropped or changed location Wicd
I tested this with wicd and this didn't work (with my raspberry pi and an ASUS USB-N10 adaptor). Once the connection was dropped the device didn't even search for other networks (the light at the adaptor didn't blink).
I now tried again with netcfg and that works like a charm, so it has nothing to do with my hardware. Are there others who are experiencing the same problem?
-- Warddr (talk) 15:17, 22 August 2012 (UTC)
The section about Management methods needs to be updated with info how to do this on a pure systemd system.
-- JKAbrams 20:51, 02 November 2012
- I just fixed up Wireless_Setup#Management_methods a bit. Is this section more useful than it was before? What parts still need work?
- -- Jstjohn (talk) 23:24, 3 November 2012 (UTC)
Should we add a warning on the top that this article is still not fully systemd converted?
-- t.ask , 19:40, 13 November 2012 (EST)
- I just removed a lot of the old initscripts stuff. There's only one section remaining that has not been updated for systemd, and I have already flagged it out of date. I skimmed the article for any other references to initscripts-related content and was unable to find any.
- -- Jstjohn (talk) 22:43, 13 November 2012 (UTC)