For maximum benefit I suggest using the discussion page for page editing collaboration.
Firstly, some things on the current page aren't really clear, imho:
- "The standard arch kernel can be use to boot the domUs."
So, domUs can use the standard kernel?
- "In order for this to work one must add 'xen-blkfront' to the modules array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf"
On the domUs?
- "The basic idea behind adding a domU is as follows. We must get the domU kernels (...)"
BUT one can also use a standard archlinux kernel? Maybe there is an inconsistency.
- Maybe someone more experienced can explain how to use encrypted (LUKS) filesystems with xen;
- Maybe someone more experienced can add a section on how to use other OSs like Microsoft® Windows&trade.
- I opt to delete the alternative installation method because experienced users can figure this stuff out for themselves and it might be horribly outdated;
-- Voidzero 16:54, 7 May 2010 (EDT)
Thirdly: This is incorrect - was stated before to be a frontend for Xen - it is NOT - it is a frontend for xenserver by citrix
this is also not for xen directly - it is for xen cloud platform which is something different afaik
- xvp is web interface and vnc proxy.
After installing xvp, you need to generate /etc/xvp.conf with xvpdiscover tool and adjust your web server for using /srv/http/xvpweb/.
-- Friesoft 19:01, 23 May 2010 (EDT)
Old section about build failures with dom0 kernel 2.6.31:
Please note: At the time of this writing (23.5.2010) the current version uses a patched kernel version 2.6.31, which won't compile using gcc 4.5.
The problem can be worked around by temporarily downgrading gcc and gcc-libs to version 4.4.3. It may also be needed to build the gmp4 package. You can possibly find gcc-4.4.3 and gcc-libs-4.4.3 on ARM (see Downgrading Packages)
pacman -Ud gcc-* yaourt -S gmp4 # not sure if this is really needed
Note: this didn't work for me (friesoft, 23.5.2010)
necessary modules on Dom0
You need to load xen-blkback in Dom0 for /dev/xvda* devices. If you didn't load it, the DomUs won't find the device for the root file systems.
Similarly, you need to load xen_netback for the network connections, else xm create will pause for quite a while and then abort with a message that it could not configure vif.