The steps in these directions do not appear to work correctly. Somewhere along the line something happens and the process breaks down. It may be after the installation and before the startup of the process, especially since the install steps are simple and work properly, but the startup of the DE ends with no DE.
If Xfce is to be a somewhat simpler interface, then the process to get it working shouldn't need so many files installed (as I experienced) or have any need for complex tweaking; both of which appear to be needed. I have tried this four times, and only got it to work once, sort of....
It might be nice to open up a discussion with an expert and rewrite the steps by trying them on a couple different systems. - KitchM 02:32, 21 August 2009 (EDT)
- After nine months, these steps need to be re-tested to see if the new instructional details and latest builds work correctly. Perhaps someone could verify. - KitchM 13:37, 4 March 2010 (EST)
- They do indeed work correctly. Some parts may still be obsolete(icons/hal-bbs-thread?), the introduction (what/why/why not) could be made less "subjective", and the Tips section could be improved/checked for obsolete information. Unfortunately, my Xfce4-experience was rather short - sticking to gnome for the moment, so I can't be of more help here.
- Removed accuracy-template. Hokasch 04:57, 10 May 2010 (EDT)
- Thanks, Hokash. - KitchM 18:04, 10 May 2010 (EDT)
Ok, I don't understand why you say this when the only part of the wiki related to installation and getting it up and running is the first few sections, which are almost entirely pacman commands and "startxfce4" which I have followed word for word now and know works just fine on my system. If you're referring to all of the tweaking ideas this wiki provides, then maybe somewhere something had changed making one part inaccurate, but as far as I can tell, this wiki is fine. - ArcherSeven 21:01, 3 March 2010 (EST)
- It could be that there have been improvements, but it might need to be rechecked. I'll be glad to do so when I get a chance.
- Also, it is good to see clarity created by removing extraneous and/or redundant parts (such as per Ssentinull) but I would like to see more reasons given for things rather than leaving them unexplained. - KitchM 12:41, 11 March 2010 (EST)
There have been some changes with xfce. However, very few of these changes are backend/installation method changes. This wiki actually works fine to install the xfce environment. But there is quite a bit of post installation stuff that could be added which prob. should go on a different page?
- No, not necessarily. Suggested additional stuff could be a section at the end. Go for it. And thanks for your input. - KitchM 21:46, 19 March 2010 (EDT)
In the troubleshooting section are incomplete tips. After using the tips it is important to save the session on exit and (possibly) remember not to save the session on subsequent exits. If you do not save the session after making the changes then the session manager simply takes you back to a time with the error still present. Tawan