Telegram is a cloud-based cross-platform instant messaging service with optional end-to-end encryption. Account creation requires a phone number.
The official clients are open-source but the code for recent versions is not always immediately published. The server-side code is proprietary.
You can use one of following methods in order to use Telegram in Arch:
Chat client plugins
- By using Pidgin is provided. AUR or AUR packages, connection to Telegram through (graphical or command-line) messenger softwares based on such as
- Messaging apps that are using Telepathy such as (the default messenger for GNOME) can make use of package, which provides possibility of using and thus AUR to connect Telegram.
- In the KDE desktop environment using provides capability of connecting the default messenger to Telegram.
The official app:
- , built by Arch Linux
- AUR, built by upstream
- Noto Color Emoji. AUR Experimental build of Telegram Desktop using system Qt and emojis replaced with those from
- AUR (current maintenance status unknown)
- Github. AUR provides command-line interface to connect and use Telegram. For more information about the program, visit the program page on
- Ncurses and needs AUR to run. For more information about the program, visit the program page on Github. AUR is a command-line interface for Telegram based on
- AUR, not a full client but a command-line tool to directly send messages or files via Telegram.
- The official Telegram Web.
- open-source web-based application that can be used for web-based interface of various instant messaging software such as Telegram, WhatsApp, Facebook, and more. AUR is an
- AUR is an alternative to Franz, also open source. It offers all features of its counterpart.
- Use Telegram Desktop addons for Firefox, to connect to Telegram in your browser via web interface.
- Use Telegram Chrome app for Chromium, to connect to Telegram in your browser via web interface.
Tips and tricks
Telegram resources about Arch Linux
- Arch Linux - Unofficial group for discussing everything about Arch Linux.
- ArchWikiBot - Inline bot for searching through ArchWiki pages.
- Planet Arch Linux & News - Channel with recent Planet Arch updates and Latest News in one place.
- Arch Linux: Recent package updates - Channel with recent package updates in Arch Linux repositories.
- Arch Linux News - Channel with latest news from Arch web site (not updated).
- Planet Arch - Channel with latest posts from Planet Arch web site (not updated).
- Archlinux.fr News - Channel with latest posts from Archlinux.fr forums and other stuff about Arch Linux.
- Archlinux.fr Chat - Unofficial group for discussing everything about Arch Linux for french users.
Unread messages counter for Telegram Desktop
By default, only the icon in the system tray will show the number of unread messages.
If you want to have the actual app icon to show the unread message counter as well, you can use the Unity badge integration, which can be handled by KDE and Gnome as well.
To enable the Unity integration, you will have to install
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP environment variable set to
Unity, e.g. copy the
.desktop file to
~/.local/share/applications/ and change the
Exec line to start Telegram Desktop with the environment variable set instead.