Bullet-hell shooters is a genre of 2D shooters based on really complex patterns, which are beautiful and interesting to look at, and impiles great difficulty, memorizing patterns and fast player reaction.
Touhou Project games are one of the most popular of this genre because, among other things, the in-game world is a giant universe, the music (at least the WAVs in the full version) is spectacular, and, if you have been on the internet for a while, you might stumble upon its curious fanbase, which has produced videos, music, manga (japanese comics) and even unofficial games.
Despite the difficulty, they can be very addicting games.
The purporse of this wiki, is to help users with the installation under arch linux of these games, and other touhou-related packages.
PC-98 games can be played using Linux-native X Neko Project II emulator (AUR).AUR in
The following AUR packages only depend on Wine to run (and timidity++ to play MIDI music). A python engine is under development to remove the wine dependency. They install the free trial versions. You can easily replace the trials with the full game if you have it.
These games have been packages in the AUR for your convenience:
- Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil — AUR
- Touhou 7: Perfect Cherry Blossom — AUR
- Touhou 8: Imperishable Night — AUR
We need help packaging more Touhou games for the AUR. This is a list of games that have free, downloadable trial editions to build off of:
- Touhou 9: Phantasmagoria of Flower View
- Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith
- Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism
- Touhou 12: Undefined Fantastic Object
- Touhou 13: Ten Desires
How to package a game
Linkmauve has made an experimental python engine to make the games more portable. It is definitely not stable, and is more of an outline for an engine than an actual one, but it is interesting nonetheless. See packages AUR and AUR in AUR.
Installing the full version
If you have the full version of either Imperishable Night or Perfect Cherry Blossom, you can place them in your home folder, or you can place them in the overlay so that they will work in the liveCD and also get installed to disk.
NOTE: .th08 is Imperishable Night's wineprefix folder, and .th07 is Perfect Cherry Blossom's.
- Find the folder with the Touhou game files.
- Set your file manager to see hidden files/folders. (in Cherimoya's Dolphin file manager, just press Alt+. (the period key))
- Go to your "Home" folder and find the folders ".th08" and/or ".th07".
- Paste your game files right over the shortcuts in either ".th08" or ".th07"
- Start your games normally. They will use the full version.
If you are using the trial edition, they only include MIDI files. To play them, you will also need to install Timidity++ () along with some soundfonts ( ).
Now add the following lines to Timidity++ configuration file:
dir /usr/share/timidity/freepats source /etc/timidity++/freepats/freepats.cfg
Remember to start the timidity++ daemon before play.