Recent Arch convert migrating from Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 (first GNU/Linux distro), have been preparing it for a while and take profit of acquisition of a new laptop to dig through the Arch wiki and learn/add stuff.
Became slightly knowledgeable in hardware/software encryption (dm-crypt/LUKS FTW), SSD/TRIM controversy (fstrim won) and ext4 options.
- Clevo W540EU
- CPU : Intel core i5-3230M (2.6 GHz / 3.2 GHz Turbo - cache 3 MB)
- Intel HD Graphics 4000, AES-NI
- SSD: Crucial M500 120 GB mSATA (SATA II :s)
- HDD: Seagate 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA II
- RAM : Corsair 8 GB 1333 MHz
- Wifi : Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 BGN (iwlwifi :s)
- SSD#TRIM: add dm-crypt/LUKS info, fix LVM subsection hierarchy level and expand (issue_discards = 1 only adds lvremove/resize discards, others are already passed though), challenge recommended method for setting TRIM (fstrim is recommended by ext4 dev Theodore Ts'o and Ubuntu 14.04 blueprint agrees)
- Install on encrypted lvm root (LVM over LUKS)
- update and clarify Mkinitcpio#Using_LVM & Mkinitcpio#Using_encrypted_root: no need for bootloader's "root=/dev/..." param (GRUB detects it automagically and it doubles up to add it in /etc/default/grub), what is dm-crypt mapping name and what is LVM one, clean dead link to "LUKS#Configuration_of_initcpio";
- Cron#Users_and_autostart & pkgstats --> update to precise that cronie.service is not enabled by default;