How to install RPMs and DEBs on your Arch install
1. Get either or both of the packages rpmextract and deb2targz.
pacman -S rpmextract pacman -S deb2targz
2. Download the appropriate rpm/deb for the software you want to install. Be sure to ask around the forums or IRC channels the dependencies of these packages. Check to see if the repos already have these dependencies.
pacman -Ss pkgname
3. Get any needed dependencies that are not in the repositories.
4. Extract the RPM or DEB with the command(s):
cd /path/to/rpm rpmextract.sh rpmfilename
cd /path/to/deb deb2targz debfilename
5. Write a .PKGINFO based on the info given in step 2. Here is a template:
# Generated by makepkg 3.2.1 # using fakeroot version 1.11.4 # Mon Jan 12 01:31:27 UTC 2009 pkgname = pkgname pkgver = pkgversion pkgdesc = what you want to say about pkg url = where it came from builddate = Unknown packager = Unknown Packager size = size o' package unpackaged in bytes arch = i686 or x86-64 license = GPL depend = packages needed by this package